• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Joomla Javascript Problem

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You've given up?

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      You've given up?
      Yep, was slowing the site down anyways.
      Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
        Yep, was slowing the site down anyways.
        Those images dont slow your site down, it's the other stuff like video etc...

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
          Can you add proper semicolons to your code, this may or may not have effect, but let's just be proper and end all statements with ;
          It's optional in JS
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            It's optional in JS
            Almost right

JS will perform automatic semicolon insertion according to a precisely-specified algorithm, but if you don't know that algorithm, you can get caught out: for example, the following code will produce a syntax error because the single line without a semicolon (highlighted for your viewing pleasure) won't have a semicolon inserted automatically according to the rules:

Code:
            var bar = "a";
            var baz = {};
            var boo = 1;
            var bop = 2;
            a = boo + bop
            (baz).foo = bar;
            Best practise is to never rely on automatic semicolon insertion, and furthermore to understand how it works so you don't get caught out by it when it does happen, such as:

Code:
            function foo() {
                // stuff happens...
                return
                    {
                        a: "foo",
                        b: 7
                    };
            }
            where a semicolon will be inserted after "return", meaning that the function will return "undefined" rather than returning that nice object defined by the object literal we started on the next line to keep it nicely formatted.

Comment

Back on topic: the following code will auto-refresh any images in the page that have a name attribute whose value is "refresh" followed by zero or more digits, such as "refresh", "refresh1", "refresh99999".

Notes:
              • All images to be refreshed must have a different name.

• All images lacking a name, or with a name not matching the pattern, will be left alone.

• If no images are found with a suitable name, the refresh timer won't be started.

• The code creates no global variables, and will neither interfere with nor be interfered with by any other code on the page, unless that code is also trying to change the src attribute of the same images.

• The code only needs to be included once, and must be after all the images. The best place is immediately before the </body> tag.

• It automatically picks up the original path/name of the image from the HTML, so even if you change the source of one of the images it will still work.

• You can change the refresh interval at the line near the top with a comment about it.

• If you want it on multiple pages, it's best to put it in an external file and use <script src="image-refresh.js"></script>.

• I've put up a demo page which refreshes two separate images every two seconds whilst leaving another untouched; the images just show the date and time that the browser asked for them.

• It's been tested on Safari 5 Mac, Firefox 3.6 Mac, and IE6 XP, but it should be OK anywhere - in fact, it should even work on Netscape Navigator 3

Code:
              (function() {
                  // Demo: http://www.nickfitz.co.uk/examples/javascript/image-refresh/image-refresh.html
                  var config = {
                          refreshInterval: 10, // This is the refresh interval in seconds
                          imageMatcher: /^refresh\d*$/
                  },
                  refreshImages = [],
                  images,
                  refreshImagesLength;

images = document.getElementsByTagName("img");
                  for (var i = 0, l = images.length; i < l; i++) {
                      if (images[i].name.match(config.imageMatcher)) {
                          refreshImages.push({img: images[i], src: images[i].src});
                      }
                  }
                  refreshImagesLength = refreshImages.length;
                  if (refreshImagesLength) {
                      setInterval(function() {
                          for (var i = 0; i < refreshImagesLength; i++) {
                              refreshImages[i].img.src = refreshImages[i].src + "?" + new Date().getTime();
                          }
                      }, config.refreshInterval * 1000);
                  }
              })();
              Last edited by NickFitz; 4 September 2010, 21:11.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                Back on topic: the following code will auto-refresh any images in the page that have a name attribute whose value is "refresh" followed by zero or more digits, such as "refresh", "refresh1", "refresh99999".

Notes:
                • All images to be refreshed must have a different name.

• All images lacking a name, or with a name not matching the pattern, will be left alone.

• If no images are found with a suitable name, the refresh timer won't be started.

• The code creates no global variables, and will neither interfere with nor be interfered with by any other code on the page, unless that code is also trying to change the src attribute of the same images.

• The code only needs to be included once, and must be after all the images. The best place is immediately before the </body> tag.

• It automatically picks up the original path/name of the image from the HTML, so even if you change the source of one of the images it will still work.

• You can change the refresh interval at the line near the top with a comment about it.

• If you want it on multiple pages, it's best to put it in an external file and use <script src="image-refresh.js"></script>.

• I've put up a demo page which refreshes two separate images every two seconds whilst leaving another untouched; the images just show the date and time that the browser asked for them.

• It's been tested on Safari 5 Mac, Firefox 3.6 Mac, and IE6 XP, but it should be OK anywhere - in fact, it should even work on Netscape Navigator 3

Code:
                (function() {
                    // Demo: http://www.nickfitz.co.uk/examples/javascript/image-refresh/image-refresh.html
                    var config = {
                            refreshInterval: 10, // This is the refresh interval in seconds
                            imageMatcher: /^refresh\d*$/
                    },
                    refreshImages = [],
                    images,
                    refreshImagesLength;

images = document.getElementsByTagName("img");
                    for (var i = 0, l = images.length; i < l; i++) {
                        if (images[i].name.match(config.imageMatcher)) {
                            refreshImages.push({img: images[i], src: images[i].src});
                        }
                    }
                    refreshImagesLength = refreshImages.length;
                    if (refreshImagesLength) {
                        setInterval(function() {
                            for (var i = 0; i < refreshImagesLength; i++) {
                                refreshImages[i].img.src = refreshImages[i].src + "?" + new Date().getTime();
                            }
                        }, config.refreshInterval * 1000);
                    }
                })();
                Looks interesting but I don't have a clue how to use it in Joomla. It would be much simpler if I had code that would work within each of the two modules.
                Me, me, me...

Comment

Working...
                X