• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Link Farms/Exchanges

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    I personally do not believe google on what they have written on that page.

If that was the case there would be a market for placing competitors sites on link farms and I do not see much of that.
    It doesn't work like that. If a spammy link exchange links to example.com, example.com won't be penalised for the incoming link. However, the whole point of the "exchange" is that example.com links back to the spammy site, and for that outgoing link it will be penalised. Link farms that don't require a link back will still be identified as spammy, and therefore the incoming link from them won't contribute anything to search engine rankings, so there's no optimisation happening.

As far as Latent Semantic Indexing goes: try a search for "sun factor" and one for "sun factorial" (both without quotes) - the first returns results about protection from sunburn, the second returns results about numerical algorithms in Java, which you'll remember was created by Sun Microsystems. Not convinced? Try "cat army" as opposed to "cat navy". Guess which one returns results about cats, and which about old fashioned forms of punishment?

Consider one more point: I think you'll find that none of the people you quote have ever actually worked as a developer for a company that operates a major search engine, and they are all trying to make money out of you. I have worked for such a company, and I won't make a penny out of this advice. Who do you think it makes sense to believe?

One more link for luck: Quality links to your site.
    Last edited by NickFitz; 2 September 2010, 06:11. Reason: Clarification: companies aren't search engines, they just operate them.

Comment

Not at all. What you are talking about is Latent Semantic Indexing (LSI), and the search engines just do not have the ability to tell if a site is related to the link’s keywords.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
        careful who you're laughing at, butchers boy has built a backlink tracker to rival yours
        Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
          careful who you're laughing at, butchers boy has built a backlink tracker to rival yours

I'd better get back to work ASAP then - going to office tomorrow then

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
            search for angela's backlinks Angela’s Backlinks Update… | Shane Brown

Researched this and went of and hired a bob for 200 dollars to supply 2000 backlinks.

he is only 1/3 of the way through and we have seen a 20,000% increase in our search query results.

In our 2 key search terms we have went up from 60th to 8th and the one we really want we have went up from 180th to 59th, i'm hoping we can get onto the first page with that.

Comment

Researched this and went of and hired a bob for 200 dollars to supply 2000 backlinks.

he is only 1/3 of the way through and we have seen a 20,000% increase in our search query results.
              Where did you find said bob?

If its a Co, would you be so kind as to PM me their link? Just sent Plan B's companion iPhone app in for review so want to give Plan B a big push and am prepared to try anything*

* thats $200 or less

Comment

Working...
              X