• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Useful Programs

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hmm some good ones there.

For me (Win7) its:
    • AVG Free
    • AllwaySync
    • FileZilla

.. among others.

I'm working towards ripping my DVD library to a 2TB USB drive to play on my PS3. Does anyone have anything for that? (hope its not a hijack)
    "take me to your leader"

Comment

I use the Xilisoft ultimate DVD ripper.
      DVD Ripper - DVD ripping software, rip DVD to AVI, MPEG, DivX
      Coffee's for closers

Comment

DVDShrink

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
          Oh, all right then - all Mac-based except when cross-platform

(I'll take stuff that comes with the OS for granted - things like Safari, iMovie, iTunes, iDVD, and so forth.)

snip...
          I tried out Eclipse once, but not being a developer (have to do a little Perl cut\paste programming occasionally), I couldn't work out which version I should go for. Am using Komodo edit instead.

Comment

If you've used something like Acronis to create an image of a partition or disk then I recommend taking a serious look at the following:

Macrium Reflect Backup and Hard Disk Imaging for Windows 7, Vista, XP and Server 2003/2008

One of the things which it can do is create a bootable backup/restore system - on your existing hard disk - which can be really convenient if you need to bodger around with the operating system files. Usually you'd be thinking of booting off a CD to do that.

Their product is better than Acronis IMHO, and several times cheaper. UK author so your dollars will be put to a good cause within the UK.

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
              Not tried Ultraedit but texpad is cheaper at 16.50. Got the odd bug, like cursor sometimes not lining up with char at end of lines, but change to fixed width font sorts that.
              Just came across this link today and thought it a useful addition to the thread:

Free Notepad replacements
              Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

NotePad ++ (being able to configure your own syntax highlighting, its non-locking of files and it's ability to run code from the gui makes this tops)
                ProcessExplorer
                WinMerge
                Agent Ransack
                Paint.net
                ReplaceEm
                CCCleaner
                (program remover is superior to windows)

can get most of these portable versions too
                sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from malice - Asimov (sort of)

there is no art in a factory, not even in an art factory - Mixerman

everyone is stupid some of the time - trad.

Comment

Working...
                X