• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Help! I've killed my desktop! :-(

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help! I've killed my desktop! :-(

Is it possible wreck a machine? It suddenly went dog slow so I thought I'd backup the data and reload the o's from an acronis backup.

But now I can't get it to do anything.
    I tried to repair xp using the cd but it won't go past the MBR0 check.

I'm going to get some tea then come back to it.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Yes, it's very possible to wreck a machine.

If you have another machine, I'd download a Linux live CD (e.g. linuxmint.org) and see if you can boot from that - if you can then you should at least be able to access the data. If that doesn't work, then it sounds like the machine is goosed.

You should still be able to rescue the data if you get a new machine - get a caddy for the existing drive if necessary (£10 ish from eBuyer, I guess) or stick it into a second drive bay in the new machine.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I've saved the data, that should be ok. Now I'm just trying to resuscitate the PC.

Mr C will be very disappointed if I can't get it to work as he gets my cast off and was hoping for an upgrade.

I'll keep trying to fix it over the weekend..
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."

Comment

Hang on a mo'! The format has started to work and the e only variable I can think of is the consumption of a large glass of wine!

By Jove it might work yet!!

Comment

It might be worth booting from a Live CD and running a health check on the disk, just to to be sure it's not about to die permanently. It would probably be extremely annoying to devote a couple of hours to re-installing everything and restoring from backup, only for the blue smoke to get out just as you finish

Comment

Nope, it didn't, try again ...

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
              It might be worth booting from a Live CD and running a health check on the disk, just to to be sure it's not about to die permanently. It would probably be extremely annoying to devote a couple of hours to re-installing everything and restoring from backup, only for the blue smoke to get out just as you finish
              Rats, now I need to ferry out a new Linux live CD and try to remember how to do a health check,

Rats...

Comment

Didn't this happen before?

If you PM me I can get Mr N to give you some teccy help tomorrow, if need be.
                "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Thanks norrahe, I might well take you up on the offer...

Comment

(I'm now trying to delete the partitions, I might just give up and buy another hard drive...)

Comment

Working...
                    X