• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Windows Service Centre - Advice appreciated

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windows Service Centre - Advice appreciated

Hi, time for me to ask a question for a change!

I have just received a telephone call to my home phone from Angel Williams from the Windows Service Centre (based in Oxfordshire, tel 02033 180 510 and answered with just a hello when I called back) who has walked me through various processes to find windows error logs and yellow warning flags. I have over several hundred in total. Angel advised me that unless the Windows service guy "deals" with these for me that my motherboard will fail and my computer will be rendered useless.

They wanted me to go to RUN and enter www.logmein123.com and press enter so they could have access to my computer. By then I became suspicious, especially as they have my UK phone number and I entered my foreign one when I bought the computer last year as I lived abroad. So how do they have my number? Is it a scam, random calls as most people have Windows (yes, an apple's on the wish list) then they have access to all your details, or ARE windows really being pro-active and efficient?

It all seems a little bit strange to me. I would appreciate any comments.

Many thanks
    Sally

If they are based in oxfordshire why are they using a central london number 0203 is london.

Its a scam as you will always have 100's error and warning messages in the log. That is what it is there to collect and for you to rightfully ignore.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      If they are based in oxfordshire why are they using a central london number 0203 is london.

Its a scam as you will always have 100's error and warning messages in the log. That is what it is there to collect and for you to rightfully ignore.
      Thanks very much Eek

Comment

Covered recently in other threads too - see here.

Comment

This is a scam and probably illegal, as it is essentially obtaining access to a computer system by deception. You might want to contact trading standards or the CAB and see what can be done about them.
          While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Found the following by googling the number:

Scammers called soc321.com, support on click etc

http://whocallsme.com/Phone-Number.aspx/02033180510

Windows error scam - 02033180510

and (indirectly)

If You Receive A Phone Call About Your Computer Running Slow – Hang Up

Comment

Wow, scary stuff. Thanks NickFitz and everyone else for the comments and time spent in sourcing links, much appreciated

Comment

I've had two of these calls now.

A friend of mine, the dumbass, gave them access to his PC and also handed over his credit card details. He's now trying to undo the mess.

This is now so widespread, I'd advise anyone to tell all their friends and family about this scam.

Comment

Working...
                X