• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Microsoft .NET framework

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Microsoft .NET framework

I need to install the IBM Standalone Software Configuration Tool but it blows out because it needs Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 installed. I presume that this is a bug with the software as looking at what is installed I have the 3.51 Framework already installed (Windows 7.) Would it crap my system out if I installed the 1.1 as well? I'm sure I've come up against this before and just went ahead but don't want to bugger up this OS now otherwise I'll stick it on the VM. Cheers.
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

I wouldn't totally take my word for it as I have struggled to get a really definite answer to this sort of question myself but I don't think so. The versions are distinct and you can have more than 1 installed. The application should pick up what it needs.

I haven't tried 1.1 but speaking for 2.0, MS's instal procedures appear to be sane enough not to overwrite new stuff with older versions. I seem to recall reading that full backward compatibility went back to 2.0 so 3.5 might not work for 1.1 programs. Even then it is not backward compatibility in the sense that one version suits all. If you instal 3.5 on an XP machine without .net and then check in control panel you will find three or four instals of different packs with increasing versions.
    Last edited by xoggoth; 19 May 2010, 20:26.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

You should be fine - 1.1 can work side by side with 2.0 (3.5), i've got it on my dev PC.

Comment

I did once install 1.1 on top of 2.0 and it went fine

(though VS2003 wasn't happy to find VS2005 already in situ...)

Comment

I can't track down the relevant URL at the moment, but I know that the .NET mob at MS have put in a fair bit of effort to make it possible to run multiple versions of the framework.

<digs around="a bit"/>

Ah, I was probably thinking of this stuff from 2007 by LukeH from MS about .NET framework multitargeting in Visual Studio - if you read through to the end of the post, he mentions something about using VS2003 with .NET 1.1. Although he doesn't seem to specifically address your question, the overall tone suggests that you probably won't have any problems having several framework versions on the same machine other than developer tools insisting on targeting a specific one from the same version range. This suggests that said version ranges can exist happily side-by-side, and their co-existence will only really be a problem for developers using certain versions of Visual Studio, not for end users.

Still, I gave up on .NET as a bad job getting worse some years ago, so I haven't really kept up with it. Read the blog post and see if you come to the same conclusions as I did or determine that it isn't relevant
          Last edited by NickFitz; 20 May 2010, 03:05.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I read the blog post plus a couple of others and it probably won't be a problem and I'm 99% certain I've run multiple versions of the framework before. As this is a new system and I've got it pretty well configured to how I want it I'm going to play safe and run it in a WIN2003 VM. Cheers.
            Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

I'm running all three side by side, including all three VS's. Seems to be OK, running on Vista. I'm sure I installed vs2003/.net 1.1 afterwards to do some work for an old client.
              If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

As others have said yes you can run all versions side by side on same machine

Comment

Originally posted by Not So Wise View Post
                  As others have said yes you can run all versions side by side on same machine
                  Well I nearly went ahead just now but am not going to:

Windows 2000; Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1 for Itanium-based Systems; Windows Server 2003 x64 editions; Windows Server 2008 Datacenter; Windows Server 2008 Enterprise; Windows Server 2008 for Itanium-based Systems; Windows Server 2008 Standard; Windows Vista Business; Windows Vista Enterprise; Windows Vista Home Basic; Windows Vista Home Premium; Windows Vista Starter; Windows Vista Ultimate; Windows XP; Windows XP Professional x64 Edition
                  I'm running Windows 7 64 bit which aiun't on the list so ain't going to risk it

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                    Well I nearly went ahead just now but am not going to:

I'm running Windows 7 64 bit which aiun't on the list so ain't going to risk it
                    Might not be on list but having vista and 2008 on there generally means it will work (most documentation has not been updated to indicate Win7 compatibility).

Most get to work without to much hassle some have to go though the following steps

Comment

Working...
                    X