• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Mac equavlent PC software

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mac equavlent PC software

Just organising myself before I go out and splurge.

I've been doing a bit of research and would like the audience's opinion of the following:

Visio = Omnigraffle Pro
    Project = Omniplan

(actually, I'm beginning to see a pattern here... )

I realise that my research might have thrown up apps that are massively out-of-date.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Antivirus = beer
    Anti-malware = beer
    registry cleaners = beer

But obviously if you really try hard you can find equivalent apps and you can even pay for them.
    Problem is do still want to be stuck in the old Windows 'paradigm'?
    If so, you're better off running your old apps on a cheap Acer, not a shiny 2k MBP...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
      Just organising myself before I go out and splurge.

I've been doing a bit of research and would like the audience's opinion of the following:

Visio = Omnigraffle Pro
      Project = Omniplan

(actually, I'm beginning to see a pattern here... )

I realise that my research might have thrown up apps that are massively out-of-date.
      What I'm finding is that there is a dearth of "serious" software for the Mac.
      As per my other threads recently my solution is to have a dual boot Mac - use Windows for work and Mac for play.
      The Apple "Boot Camp" software that allows you do this is a doddle. It worked first time and works perfectly
      Otherwise if you're just running relatively non-resource hungry Windows apps and want to run them "within" the Mac, get some emulator software on top of the Mac e.g. VMware.
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Just realised that may not be what you're asking - you may ve asking the question the other way round?
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by xchaotic View Post
          Antivirus = beer
          Anti-malware = beer
          registry cleaners = beer

But obviously if you really try hard you can find equivalent apps and you can even pay for them.
          Problem is do still want to be stuck in the old Windows 'paradigm'?
          If so, you're better off running your old apps on a cheap Acer, not a shiny 2k MBP...
          If I wanted to know about antivirus I would have asked - I know what I can get free.

I'm a business - I want business apps with business functionality, and that often (but not always) means paying for it.

If I wanted beer I'd go Linux and Dia...
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
            What I'm finding is that there is a dearth of "serious" software for the Mac.
            As per my other threads recently my solution is to have a dual boot Mac - use Windows for work and Mac for play.
            The Apple "Boot Camp" software that allows you do this is a doddle. It worked first time and works perfectly
            Otherwise if you're just running relatively non-resource hungry Windows apps and want to run them "within" the Mac, get some emulator software on top of the Mac e.g. VMware.
            Thanks Sas.

I'm looking at replacing expensive M$ software with not quite so expensive Mac software.

Comment

Why not just get a MAPS subscription?
              And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Will google and let you know when I find out what it is.

Comment

Originally posted by b0redom View Post
                  Why not just get a MAPS subscription?
                  That's a possibility...

I thought only developers used that.

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                    That's a possibility...

I thought only developers used that.
                    Nah, it includes all sorts of stuff, its designed for 'solution' providers so they may spread the gospel of Microsoft. It includes all sorts of marketing bumph to show to prospective clients so you can flog them a Biztalk/Sharepoint etc etc setup. Devs use it as its packed with all sorts of goodies we use, but i think its more geared towards sales bods.
                    Last edited by Durbs; 15 April 2010, 14:45.

Comment

Working...
                    X