• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How often do you get a new laptop?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    If something like the screen packs up after the 1 year warranty expires, you are quids in.
    If something like the screen packs up after a year, then you'd have a very good case for a free repair under the Sale of Goods Act anyway.
    If you have to add a , it isn't funny. HTH. LOL.

Comment

I buy one every two years and put it through the company, mostly they
      are lenovo thinkpad which have great keyboard and good performance and
      keep their value.

what I worked out is that it costs me very little compared to buying
      it privately ie, buy lenovo for £1k get tax deduction offset say 25% also
      i get addtional 10% discount from lenovo as a corporate + reclaim vat, then resell after two yrs on ebay for £400-450.

Other benefit is they covered under warranty one model developed some
      dead pixels after a year and I managed to get the screen replaced for free.

Comment

I think if you buy a good one each time (good spec and good manufacturer), I think 3 years is a good time regarding performance improvements from having a new system, software compatibility and gettings your £££ worth out of the purchase.

Had one or maybe two laptops that I kept for only a year - both shi* (one was an eMachines). My last DellI kept for 3 years, my new Dell is already 15months old but performs beautifully with 4GB memory and a 2.5 dual core processor which even today is a good spec for a laptop. I may even get Win7 for it also, and it will accept an SSD if prices come down.

If you buy a PC world £250 special then you're looking at replacing every year probably as it'll soon irratate the hell out of ya
        Last edited by SuperZ; 15 April 2010, 14:27.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperZ View Post
          I think if you buy a good one each time (good spec and good manufacturer), I think 3 years is a good time regarding performance improvements from having a new system, software compatibility and gettings your £££ worth out of the purchase.
          T43P Apr 2007 2Ghz single processor, hi performance HDD, hires screen, mag. alloy casing 3yr onsite £750
          Upgraded to 2GB RAM 2009 £40.
          Probably replace 2013/4

Spend more on a good one and concentrate on the important things in life not PC website window shopping?
          Last edited by xux42; 16 April 2010, 10:21.

Comment

Both my macs, iMac & macbook pro, are 4 & 2 years old, respectively. Still as fast as the day I purchased them, cannot think of reason to upgrade....

I'm sure they'll not last forever though.
            "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

My 2006 MBP is still a very capable machine but it's started to randomly stop responding (not grey-screen-of-death crashing, everything just freezes*) and as I use it as my primary work machine it made business sense to replace.

*I suspect that it's overheating due to bad airflow.

I'll be taking delivery of a new 17" MBP in a week or so

Comment

Working...
              X