• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "How often do you get a new laptop?"

Collapse

• TroubleAtMill
    replied
    My 2006 MBP is still a very capable machine but it's started to randomly stop responding (not grey-screen-of-death crashing, everything just freezes*) and as I use it as my primary work machine it made business sense to replace.

*I suspect that it's overheating due to bad airflow.

I'll be taking delivery of a new 17" MBP in a week or so

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Both my macs, iMac & macbook pro, are 4 & 2 years old, respectively. Still as fast as the day I purchased them, cannot think of reason to upgrade....

I'm sure they'll not last forever though.

Leave a comment:

• xux42
    replied
    Originally posted by SuperZ View Post
    I think if you buy a good one each time (good spec and good manufacturer), I think 3 years is a good time regarding performance improvements from having a new system, software compatibility and gettings your £££ worth out of the purchase.
    T43P Apr 2007 2Ghz single processor, hi performance HDD, hires screen, mag. alloy casing 3yr onsite £750
    Upgraded to 2GB RAM 2009 £40.
    Probably replace 2013/4

Spend more on a good one and concentrate on the important things in life not PC website window shopping?
    Last edited by xux42; 16 April 2010, 10:21.

Leave a comment:

• SuperZ
    replied
    I think if you buy a good one each time (good spec and good manufacturer), I think 3 years is a good time regarding performance improvements from having a new system, software compatibility and gettings your £££ worth out of the purchase.

Had one or maybe two laptops that I kept for only a year - both shi* (one was an eMachines). My last DellI kept for 3 years, my new Dell is already 15months old but performs beautifully with 4GB memory and a 2.5 dual core processor which even today is a good spec for a laptop. I may even get Win7 for it also, and it will accept an SSD if prices come down.

If you buy a PC world £250 special then you're looking at replacing every year probably as it'll soon irratate the hell out of ya
    Last edited by SuperZ; 15 April 2010, 14:27.

Leave a comment:

• Bright Spark
    replied
    I buy one every two years and put it through the company, mostly they
    are lenovo thinkpad which have great keyboard and good performance and
    keep their value.

what I worked out is that it costs me very little compared to buying
    it privately ie, buy lenovo for £1k get tax deduction offset say 25% also
    i get addtional 10% discount from lenovo as a corporate + reclaim vat, then resell after two yrs on ebay for £400-450.

Other benefit is they covered under warranty one model developed some
    dead pixels after a year and I managed to get the screen replaced for free.

Leave a comment:

• The Wikir Man
    replied
    Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    If something like the screen packs up after the 1 year warranty expires, you are quids in.
    If something like the screen packs up after a year, then you'd have a very good case for a free repair under the Sale of Goods Act anyway.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    You've just given me my justification for buying Mac as opposed to a PC laptop.

(I've never quite managed to hit the 'confirm' purchase button up until now...)

Ta NF!
    Do consider purchasing AppleCare. You don't have to buy it at the same time as you buy a system:

The AppleCare Protection Plan can be purchased only while your Mac or Apple display is still covered under the standard one-year limited warranty.
    If something like the screen packs up after the 1 year warranty expires, you are quids in.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by expat View Post
    spilling beer and fag ash on it
    FTFY
    This is one reason that I use an external keyboard and mouse when using my laptop at home. I can shove the laptop to the back of the desk and out of harm's way.

Those old Apple white plastic keyboards were a magnet for cups of tea. I was getting through two or three keyboards a year until I invested in the aluminium variety.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by wxman View Post
    I tend to ruin laptops normally due to water and dust ingress
    spilling beer and fag ash on it
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    My MacBook will be four years old this summer. I'm planning to replace the current 250/5400 HDD with a 500/7200 at some point, mainly because I've only got about 60Gig left, but other than that it's just fine running Mail, multiple browsers, Eclipse, Apache/PHP/MySQL, XCode/Interface Builder, iPhone Simulator, Pages, Numbers, Keynote, Preview with multiple large PDF documents open, iTunes, Transmit, iPhoto, iDVD, iMovie... and usually a few other things, all at the same time under Snow Leopard. Oh, and a Windows VM under Parallels when I need one to test stuff on IE or do some debugging in Visual Studio.

I doubt I'll see any need to upgrade until it's at least five years old. In fact, when I get an iPad for general web browsing, email, video, and so forth, there's a good chance the MacBook will serve mainly as a development machine for longer than that.
    You've just given me my justification for buying Mac as opposed to a PC laptop.

(I've never quite managed to hit the 'confirm' purchase button up until now...)

Ta NF!

Leave a comment:

• portseven
    replied
    [QUOTE=wxman;1123922]I tend to ruin laptops normally due to water and dust ingress
    [QUOTE]

Tried a toughbook?

Leave a comment:

• FarmerPalmer
    replied
    Thats why mine travels in a Peli case these days

So for me is is about one every 12 months - I tend to buy one of "yesterdays models - i.e. a current model six months ago but not one of todays current flagship powerhouse.

I always go for a branded make - often a Dell but the last two have been Lenovo (I love the keysboards)
    Lenovo for me too - Dual Core, Upgraded the RAM after 18 months from 1g to 2g to run a few XP embedded virtual machines, and probably replace at 3 years ... so that'll be in the next 6 months then

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    I always go for a branded make - often a Dell but the last two have been Lenovo (I love the keysboards)
    do they help your typing?

Leave a comment:

• wxman
    replied

So for me is is about one every 12 months - I tend to buy one of "yesterdays models - i.e. a current model six months ago but not one of todays current flagship powerhouse.

Leave a comment:

• The Wikir Man
    replied
    I buy one when I can justify it.

In the past 4 years, I've bought 4.

Acer Travelmate 3000 - now in use by my wife.
    Zoostorm something or other - rarely used, but at the time of buying was one of the few laptops with a big enough hard drive to install and run 11i comfortably.
    eeePC - used for travelling,and when I don't need to do anything major
    Toshiba Portege M800 - current main one. Replaced the HDD with a 600GB one this year, so it has enough disk space to run my R12.1.1 virtual machine.

Can't see me buying another one for a while - until this one dies. It does everything I need it to do and then some, and I can't really see my demands growing much.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X