• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How often do you get a new laptop?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How often do you get a new laptop?

Serious question.

I found a couple of colleagues today looking at laptops and knowing that the one who is looking to buy already has a Mac, asked him why not another.

The other chap came out with "too expensive and you are buying for style", and I chipped in "Well I don't want a Fiat, I want a Mercedes."

His response was that you need to buy a laptop every year or two to keep up with new software requirements.

Laptops last far longer than that for me.

How often do you replace your laptops?
    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

To be honest "When I feel like it".....

Seriously... a few years ago I got 1 and replaced it only months later... then I only got another one a few years later specifically for a role where I "really" needed one (rather than occasionally carried one).....

and I've just recently got another one cos I "needed" one again.... and the old one would need updating S/W wise (and was getting grubby). I don't tend to "need" them for my roles and normally use Desktop/Tower at home (I mean at MyCO HeadOffice).... but now I've got this one (and a matching one for Mrs D) I might retire the Desktops and just use these.... cos home Wireless is much better now.....

Comment

About 3-4 years for me. I was still using my old Pentium M laptop until fairly recently and it was absolutely fine. Old-ish processor, 1GB ram but ran Win 7 beautifully and happily ran Visual Studio 2005/2008 and SQL server.

Nothing at all wrong with it and could still use it now but gave it to a family member as their first laptop.

My other one i've had for a couple of years and is a Core2, 2GB memory and is again, plenty quick enough that i wont consider changing for a good while yet.

Modern hardware is so quick that its not the big jump that Pentium --> Pentium 2 --> Pentium 3 was.

Unless you are gaming on them then every year/couple of years is unnecessary.

Saying that though, if i had the spare cash i'd update every year just for the sake of it, as getting a new 'big' tech toy like a laptop is a buzz. Mmmm, shiny things.

Comment

When I have to. Well, my first one got dropped, very dropped, after 4 years so I bought a new one. Then 4 years after that I re-assessed my requirements and bought a Mac. If I ever have to buy another laptop, current thinking is it'll be another Mac. But I don't see the need to do it soon.

I have sometimes been an early adopter of things, but never a frequent changer. If it works ......

Comment

I normally buy a new laptop every 4 years or so but I usually upgrade the memory & HDD in between.
          While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Oops, ten years so far. P3 Dell Inspiron 4000
            OK, OK, I'm looking............

Comment

Er i don't have one!
              I use Mr P's
              I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
              CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
              CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

I buy a new laptop or PC on average every 18 months. Bloody surrounded by kit at the moment.

Have 3 HP Touchsmarts around the house. Two Dells on my desk, one Apple Mac, One IMAC, two advent laptops(one a cheap Roma 1000 which is super tulipe) and some doorwedgy thing.

Then have four towers in the roof gathering dust.
                What happens in General, stays in General.
                You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

My MacBook will be four years old this summer. I'm planning to replace the current 250/5400 HDD with a 500/7200 at some point, mainly because I've only got about 60Gig left, but other than that it's just fine running Mail, multiple browsers, Eclipse, Apache/PHP/MySQL, XCode/Interface Builder, iPhone Simulator, Pages, Numbers, Keynote, Preview with multiple large PDF documents open, iTunes, Transmit, iPhoto, iDVD, iMovie... and usually a few other things, all at the same time under Snow Leopard. Oh, and a Windows VM under Parallels when I need one to test stuff on IE or do some debugging in Visual Studio.

I doubt I'll see any need to upgrade until it's at least five years old. In fact, when I get an iPad for general web browsing, email, video, and so forth, there's a good chance the MacBook will serve mainly as a development machine for longer than that.

Comment

I've had mine for nearly 2 years, and I look every now and again, but can't escape the fact I have no need of a new one. It runs Visual Studio all day, but is more than good enough, and if anything thanks to buying Windows 7 and upgrading from 2GB to 4GB, it's faster now than when I bought it.

Only excuse I can think of is that if I had a new quad core laptop, I could test optimising software for quad core, instead of the measly dual core I have now.
                    Last edited by VectraMan; 14 April 2010, 18:47.
                    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
                    X