• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New MacBook Pros

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New MacBook Pros

After three+ years of faithful service, I'll be replacing my trusty 2006-vintage 17" MBP with the just-released model.

The question for the panel is whether I should go 128Gb SSD or stay old skool with a 500Gb/7200rpm HD? (I can't really justify the larger 256 or 512 SSDs )

I have just moved to a Mac Book Pro from a Windows laptop. I went for the 500GB 7200RPM as I found that on my old 120GB laptop HDD I was always trying to free up space. I know I could have brought a new HDD, but didn't want the bother.
    SUFTUM

May life give you what you need, rather than what you want....

Comment

SSD seems to be the way to go though everything I've read suggests that the Apple supplied SSDs are crap, and you'd be better installing one yourself (lots of positive reviews about the Intel X-25 G2, which is available in 160GB).

Comment

from the discussions I have had, I have seem people buying with the 500gig HDrive and then doing a post purchase manaul swap out for a SSD. It worked out far cheaper to buy the SSD from a 3rd party and not Apple. And then they also had tr 500 gig HDrive that can be mounted in a caddy.

But it all depends on how much you want to open up your nice new shiny Mac!

Me, I lasted about 1 month before I swapped out the 160gig drive for a 320 gig one on my last MacBook Pro (and it was a real b****h to get to the drive!

thank god for the internet and guides to tearing apart a mac
        Last edited by JonSmile; 14 April 2010, 17:19.
        Twitter: jonsmile

Comment

Thanks for the advice folks.

A quick google for the Intel SSD doesn't return many online retailers. Can anyone provide a link to one of these new fangled interweb shops?

As I already have a 500GB external HD, I'm definitely heading towards the SSD option - even if it's 160quid more

Comment

aria & Scan
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

The cheapest I found the Intel SSD was £300 on eBay, if you want to take that chance (seemed like a reputable seller).

Comment

Working...
              X