• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reception area PC display

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

did it with a sharepoint list, can cycle through announcements and easy for user to update with security.

Alternatively TV with SD / usb interface most of the big screens have it. Cycle through a picture album. Bonus the security guards and IT can watch the match on it after hours.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Problem is that "Marketing" want the display to be as they want it.

IE: RSS BBC news feed ticker across the bottom, Company info / welcome on left hand side with image rotator on right hand side.

I tried XiBO - but tonight this has actually killed the wife's PC! (rebuild now required)
      Overall it might be better just to script up a web page to host all the above and run it full screen on the reception display. I can code up a simple admin interface so that welcome messages can be updated.

** business opportunity **
      Just Google Digital signage - I can not believe how much money some companies are charging for this . It appears that there is a huge gap in the market that someone can corner .....
      Last edited by wxman; 8 April 2010, 23:22. Reason: typo
      www.stormtrack.co.uk - My Stormchasing website.

Comment

Originally posted by wxman View Post
        I tried XiBO - but tonight this has actually killed the wife's PC! (rebuild now required)
        So you tried some "free" software, and it's cost you hours of your time, not to mention annoying your wife (and she puts up with enough already if I remember the telly programme ).

(It wasn't the Ask Toolbar was it? I installed something free that came with that POS, and it kept wiping out my boot.ini, but it was easy to fix and get the machine going again).

Overall it might be better just to script up a web page to host all the above and run it full screen on the reception display. I can code up a simple admin interface so that welcome messages can be updated.
        Again, hours and hours of work to avoid buying something. I'm sure we've all been there: clients who want to pay for weeks of contractor time as long as they're saving money with "free" software. Good for us; doesn't make a lot of sense overall.
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
        X