• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

C# Update

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

C# Update

I have scored some development work

Thing is I haven't done any in about 18 months, and wondered if someone would be so kind as to give me a quick toolset update?

Basically I want to create a Windows forms app with SQL Server back end. C# 2008, SQL Server 2008.

Middleware is the question. NHibernate or roll your own? Or other new fangled technology I haven't heard of.

TIA

SY01
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

I'm probably the last person to give techie advice, but I've been trying out S#arp Architecture on a project. MVC/NHib/SQL etc. I'm using the Telerick opensource MVC JQuery thingies too.
    How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
    Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

depends how well paying it is and how long you have to do, and if you have a current gig, when you will do it (ie nights and weekends).

It'd be a good way to learn WPF (in place of windows forms) if you have loads of time, or not worried about what the job breaks down to per hour.

It would also be a good way to learn either NHibernate or Entity Framework if you are interested in learning an ORM.

Well done on securing some extra work!

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
        I'm probably the last person to give techie advice, but I've been trying out S#arp Architecture on a project. MVC/NHib/SQL etc. I'm using the Telerick opensource MVC JQuery thingies too.
        ooh toys

The last thing I touched was Enterprise Library 4.1. Had some good stuff in there, nullable objects, serialisable thingies. Lots of cool stuff.

Will take a peek at the aforementioned, thanks.

Comment

So it's a desktop app talking to a DB? If it's a small project I'd not bother with all that middleware stuff... if it just has to work. A little desktop app shouldn't get ideas above its station, to be all Enterprisey.

If it's bigger then the story may change somewhat. Do you want to appear productive, or find a way to drag it out and learn stuff?
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            So it's a desktop app talking to a DB? If it's a small project I'd not bother with all that middleware stuff... if it just has to work. A little desktop app shouldn't get ideas above its station, to be all Enterprisey.

If it's bigger then the story may change somewhat. Do you want to appear productive, or find a way to drag it out and learn stuff?
            Enterprise library is supposed to make things easier is it not? Would this not make me more productive, AND learn stuff?

Comment

Ops, sorry. I misread your post. S#arp isn't gonna help for a desktop app.
              How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
              Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
                Enterprise library is supposed to make things easier is it not? Would this not make me more productive, AND learn stuff?
                Yes. No, Yes.

Comment

Originally posted by ASB View Post
                  Yes. No, Yes.
                  So not more productive?

Originally posted by MSDN
                  The Data Access Application Block provides the following benefits:

* It uses the functionality provided by ADO.NET 2.0 and with it, you can use ADO.NET functionality along with the application block's functionality.
                  * It reduces the need to write boilerplate code to perform standard tasks.
                  * It helps maintain consistent data access practices, both within an application and across the enterprise.
                  * It reduces difficulties in changing the database type.
                  * It relieves developers from learning different programming models for different types of databases.
                  * It reduces the amount of code that developers must write when they port applications to different types of databases.

Comment

It depends. It takes a few minutes to write code to pull data from a query into your object. For each query. If you use a framework, it is less setup per query, but a much bigger overhead getting the thing set up in the first place.

Spring is the same... writing a single JSP page and a servlet is way faster than setting up all your beans and things, but when you have 100 pages it can go the other way.

Also, development speed is not the biggest thing about such frameworks.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                    X