• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: C# Update

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "C# Update"

Collapse

• fullyautomatix
    replied
    Link2SQL support has been dropped which in theory means it is now redundant. It has been replaced by ADO.NET EF which will probably be dropped again in a year's time when MS realises that developers are going in for something else that is more powerful and feature rich.

Leave a comment:

• jmo21
    replied
    Originally posted by Jaws View Post
    Updates to Linq To SQL in .NET 4.0 http://damieng.com/blog/2009/06/01/l...nges-in-net-40

I've found the main problem with EF (1.0) is that you can't use your own classes with it, you're forced down the route of auto-generated partial classes (very similar to typed datasets). This is a real pain when you want to use a validation framework or anything else which may need attributes on your entity properties. It can also go a bit "funny" if your DB schema changes.
    I think my statement still stands (although I suppose .net 4.0 hasn't been officially released yet)

Leave a comment:

• Jaws
    replied
    Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
    Linq2Sql is not being developed any more, and Entity Framework is just as easy to use.
    Updates to Linq To SQL in .NET 4.0 http://damieng.com/blog/2009/06/01/l...nges-in-net-40

I've found the main problem with EF (1.0) is that you can't use your own classes with it, you're forced down the route of auto-generated partial classes (very similar to typed datasets). This is a real pain when you want to use a validation framework or anything else which may need attributes on your entity properties. It can also go a bit "funny" if your DB schema changes.

Leave a comment:

• jmo21
    replied
    Linq2Sql is not being developed any more, and Entity Framework is just as easy to use.

Leave a comment:

• Weltchy
    replied
    Linq2SQL gets my vote. Stupidly easy and quick, you can knock out a middlewear layer in about 5 minutes if you really wanted to.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    But Linq2SQL is dropped isn't it, not being developed any more?

Think about it... any giant library has some overhead. They shine on larger projects where the overhead gets averaged out, and the code is more consistent than 10 developers all doing the same thing their own way.

Leave a comment:

• Jaws
    replied
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    So not more productive?
    It will help if you want to change from say SQL Server to Oracle but I gather that is unlikely to happen (note how most of the benefits relate to this).

I have used it in the past (not out of choice) and it just adds a database agnostic wrapper around ADO.NET, with a few helper methods for creating stored procedure commands etc.

IMO LinqToSQL is a better choice than Entity Framework (v 1.0 anyway) because it's more flexible / less annoying to use.

Leave a comment:

• ASB
    replied
    So not more productive?
    It depends on what you are doing.

Take for example (bad one) the ancient logging block. By the time you had installed it, configured it, referenced it, programmed to it's interface, figured out why it didn't work etc you were often better off rolling your own for what you actually needed rather than the subset of what it tried to offer.

When it so happens that what you want or need was exactly one of the scenarios envisaged then it may well help. It may also help (bizarrely) that having experimented and discovered it can't do what you want you don't need to go there again. Equally, if you know exactly what you want you may be able to bend your approach so it fits better.

So, overall, over time yes it can increase productivity. But, in a one off minor project it's doubtful. Though I dare say it won't be the last time I get proved wrong.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    It depends. It takes a few minutes to write code to pull data from a query into your object. For each query. If you use a framework, it is less setup per query, but a much bigger overhead getting the thing set up in the first place.

Spring is the same... writing a single JSP page and a servlet is way faster than setting up all your beans and things, but when you have 100 pages it can go the other way.

Also, development speed is not the biggest thing about such frameworks.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by ASB View Post
    Yes. No, Yes.
    So not more productive?

Originally posted by MSDN
    The Data Access Application Block provides the following benefits:

* It uses the functionality provided by ADO.NET 2.0 and with it, you can use ADO.NET functionality along with the application block's functionality.
    * It reduces the need to write boilerplate code to perform standard tasks.
    * It helps maintain consistent data access practices, both within an application and across the enterprise.
    * It reduces difficulties in changing the database type.
    * It relieves developers from learning different programming models for different types of databases.
    * It reduces the amount of code that developers must write when they port applications to different types of databases.

Leave a comment:

• ASB
    replied
    Enterprise library is supposed to make things easier is it not? Would this not make me more productive, AND learn stuff?
    Yes. No, Yes.

Leave a comment:

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    Ops, sorry. I misread your post. S#arp isn't gonna help for a desktop app.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    So it's a desktop app talking to a DB? If it's a small project I'd not bother with all that middleware stuff... if it just has to work. A little desktop app shouldn't get ideas above its station, to be all Enterprisey.

If it's bigger then the story may change somewhat. Do you want to appear productive, or find a way to drag it out and learn stuff?
    Enterprise library is supposed to make things easier is it not? Would this not make me more productive, AND learn stuff?

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    So it's a desktop app talking to a DB? If it's a small project I'd not bother with all that middleware stuff... if it just has to work. A little desktop app shouldn't get ideas above its station, to be all Enterprisey.

If it's bigger then the story may change somewhat. Do you want to appear productive, or find a way to drag it out and learn stuff?

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
    I'm probably the last person to give techie advice, but I've been trying out S#arp Architecture on a project. MVC/NHib/SQL etc. I'm using the Telerick opensource MVC JQuery thingies too.
    ooh toys

The last thing I touched was Enterprise Library 4.1. Had some good stuff in there, nullable objects, serialisable thingies. Lots of cool stuff.

Will take a peek at the aforementioned, thanks.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X