• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bezier Lines

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bezier Lines

Been messing around in GIMP this evening as I want to create a shape.

Basically a wide and not very tall rectangle, solid colour, a banner if you will.

Then subtract a bezier curve from it.

Hard to explain in just text

I have been getting some alarmingly weird results in GIMP.

In theory what I can do is draw a rectable selection area, then draw my bezier curve (path tool) over the top of the rectangle area, and before clicking "selection from path" I hold the control key down, which should subtract from from t'other.

Not quite working for me though as it tries to turn my bezier curve into a polygonal shape and then subtract that from the rectangle with some alarmingly weird results.

Googling around for hours and cannot find anything on the topic.

Are there any artistically capable bods on here that can describe to me what it is I am trying to do?
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Isn't GIMP more of bitmap editor / Photoshop thingie than a vector drawing tool?

I use Corel Draw if I need to create shapes, curves etc.
    Me, me, me...

Comment

If I understand you correctly, entirely possible I don't, you want to invert your selection, copy then paste into a new doc.
      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
        If I understand you correctly, entirely possible I don't, you want to invert your selection, copy then paste into a new doc.
        Don't know what "invert your selection" means I'm afraid.

Imagine drawing a rectangle, then drawing a wavy line across the bottom right hand corner, so that the wavy line intersects the rectangle. Then remove everything to the right of the wavy line, so that the rectangle remains, with a wavy bit nibbled off the bottom right, and fill it with a solid colour.
        Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
          Don't know what "invert your selection" means I'm afraid.

Imagine drawing a rectangle, then drawing a wavy line across the bottom right hand corner, so that the wavy line intersects the rectangle. Then remove everything to the right of the wavy line, so that the rectangle remains, with a wavy bit nibbled off the bottom right, and fill it with a solid colour.
          I don't use gimp, but this would work in pixelmator which is roughly similar

1) draw your rectangle
          2) get a new layer
          3) get your "odd shaped selection" tool.
          4) create an odd shaped selection - it will have two straight lines & 1 wavy line. Pixelmator does this automatically if you draw a wavy line at the edge of a document
          5) fill selection with desired colour
          6) fiddle with moving layer created in 2 around until it looks ok (optional)
          7) merge layers.

I'm not a pro at this, so there might well be an easier way to do that, but it WFM.
          ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

use paint.net
            It's free, It works more like photoshop and there are a lot of tutorials around
            Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
              use paint.net
              It's free, It works more like photoshop and there are a lot of tutorials around
              Seconded

Comment

Never heard of paint.net before. Looks really good.

PS In future, will anyone posting info about good FREE stuff please do so before I have spent loads of dosh on commercial things that are no better? Ta.
                bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

In Gimp, I did the following:
                  1. Created and filled a rectangle;
                  2. Selected the Path tool;
                  3. Clicked outside the bottom edge of the rectangle to start a path;
                  4. Clicked outside the right edge of the rectangle to add another point;
                  5. Clicked below and to the right of the rectangle to add another point;
                  6. Ctrl-clicked on the start point to close the path, thereby forming a triangle across the corner of the rectangle;
                  7. Edited the path segment that crossed the rectangle to make it nice and wavy;
                  8. Used "Selection from path";
                  9. Cut.

...and lo! I have a wavy-edged bit taken out of the rectangle

Was that what you wanted?

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                    Never heard of paint.net before. Looks really good.
                    Just had a look round their site and it does indeed look very good. Downloading it now but i'm surprised i've not come across that one before.

Fireworks is my graphics tool of choice but is silly money for what it is. Tried Gimp a couple of times but detested the interface.

Comment

Working...
                    X