• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Boot Failure - Insert System Disk.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wxman View Post
    Within the BIOS - is the Harddisk interface (SATA) set to ACHI, compatable or ATA

Try setting to ATa or compatable - it just might be that your image does not have the ACHI drivers..

if ACHI drivers are not install then you will get boot errors but more often than not a BSD on boot up!
    Thanks, in BIOS (ASUS mobo) on board RAID is disabled and SATA interface is set to EIDE mode. It has always been that way thanks for the suggestion, I checked to see if anything had changed.
    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

readyboost anywhere? I have an HP with a 4GB usb (could be a sd card) for readyboost. On certain bios settings it thinks the readyboost drive is bootable.
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
        readyboost anywhere? I have an HP with a 4GB usb (could be a sd card) for readyboost. On certain bios settings it thinks the readyboost drive is bootable.
        Thanks, good thought but no. Fitted a new 320 Gb Western Digital hard drive yesterday. All's now well from using the Ghost image, thanks for all the comments. It's appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
          Thanks, good thought but no. Fitted a new 320 Gb Western Digital hard drive yesterday. All's now well from using the Ghost image, thanks for all the comments. It's appreciated.
          Glad to hear it. When in schtook I use the ultimate boot cd. Loads of good tools on there. Basically a Linux distro with password resetting tools, partition editors you name it.

SMART drives can give you information and there is utilities you can add that will warn you of any impeding issues.

When a disk fails like that I use Sprinrite by GRC.com Got me out of numerous scrapes

Drive Image for Linux is also a top piece of kit, but Ghost works well too.

Well done Fred.

Comment

Thanks I'll look at those. The Ghost image certainly saved me probably 5 or 6 hours of rebuilding and updating several applications from scratch though. Luckily, the Ghost image I had was only about 5 days old when I needed it.

Comment

Working...
            X