• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What to do with a spare laptop

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to do with a spare laptop

I've got a old Acer 1360 (don't laugh) knocking about and I'm not sure what to do with it. It's been running like a dog recently, so I wiped it last night (it was running XP Pro) and installed Windows 7.

I only really use it for updating the odd document, surfing or reading emails whilst my main PC is running some length database updates, but I'm wondering if it could be set to better use.

I subscribe to MAPS so have a 'wealth' of the usual M$ OS and applications. Lappy spec is not great (40Gb disk, 512Mb RAM, AMD Sempron 2800+ @ 1.6GHz) but for the infrequent use, it's been fine.

Apart from resigning it to a dusty place under the desk, any suggestions for what I could do with it, or should I just leave it with Windows 7 with Office and have it as a ad-hoc machine?
    Illegitimus non carborundum est!

Put linux on it, if you like that sort of thing.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

I don't having a play but without sounding [too] dumb, what's that going to give me in terms of functionality? Can I still run M$ Office applications?
      Illegitimus non carborundum est!

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
        Yup WHS.

Then you can put it on a shelf and leave it downloading torrents or as a machine you can upload files to using ssh or similar when on the move/at clients etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Flubster View Post
          I don't having a play but without sounding [too] dumb, what's that going to give me in terms of functionality? Can I still run M$ Office applications?
          You can use openoffice I believe. Not tried it though, since I have gone all cloudy.
          While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by Flubster View Post
            Not on Linux. OpenOffice is okay. I think it can open Word documents fine. But will have some trouble with Excel and Access macros. Don't know about powerpoint.

More info here: http://www.openoffice.org/
            McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
            Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Keep it as an emergency spare.
              Use it to download movies, music etc
              Donate it to your parents or an elderly neighbour or charity

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
                Yup WHS.

Then you can put it on a shelf and leave it downloading torrents or as a machine you can upload files to using ssh or similar when on the move/at clients etc.
                Yep, WTS.

Either that or Solaris...

Comment

Give it to a local charity run school/pre-school and let someone make good use of it.

You know it's the right thing to do.......

I did with one of my old ones and other IT junk (printers, monitors etc). Even went back to open day and they were using it to show what the kids do with computers..

To say I was as pleased as punch was a major understatement!!!

Do it do it do it.........
                  Last edited by northernladuk; 5 March 2010, 16:31.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    Give it to a local charity run school/pre-school and let someone make good use of it.

You know it's the right thing to do.......

I did with one of my old ones and other IT junk (printers, monitors etc). Even went back to open day and they were using it to show what the kids do with computers..

To say I was as pleased as punch was a major understatement!!!

Do it do it do it.........
                    Sorry mate, I don't know what you're talking about? A charity run school? In the UK?

Comment

Working...
                    X