• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Free installers?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Free installers?

CAn anyone recommend a good free installer program? I see the same few (don't know the names but they are very recognisable) all over the place, which are good?

We need the ability to prompt the user to install needed Windows components (DirectX) and preferably detect a prior installation.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Seen this used quite a bit.

http://nsis.sourceforge.net/Main_Page

Never used it myself though.

Comment

I use Inno Setup, have found it very good for commercial (in a small way) programs and the appearance of the instal is no different to high priced commercial programs.

It's script based but there are plenty of script examples for it and complete forums devoted to it. It's reliable and has built in flags to ensure system files not replaced by older/incorrect versions etc. I could supply some examples if you need them, includes installing .net framework, conditional instals depending on operating system, adding shortcuts, checking serial numbers, directing user to update sites etc.

http://www.jrsoftware.org/isinfo.php
      Last edited by xoggoth; 5 March 2010, 20:34.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Wix?

Comment

I used NSIS at a previous gig. It was all script based, though being open source you can bet there's some other project to put a buggy front end onto it.

But it did work well enough, and I had launching seperate installs for the .NET runtime and some other drivers.
          Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
          X