• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IPhone Apps. Has anyone written any?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Oh look, I'm in the French Wikipedia

And there's also more screenshots of Night Hunter covering every level, and an incomplete listing at MobyGames

Edit: ah, here's TRAZ for the PC
    Fair enough Nick. Fairplay. Respect.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
      Fair enough Nick. Fairplay. Respect.
      Cheers MF

Comment

I was just interested if anyone, anyone outside of Dim, AtW, DA & myself actually had any proper business or real passive income stream of anything of any note. In this case IPhone Apps.
        Actually, I contract as an iPhone developer. It's a reasonable day rate - nothing special, but better than what a lot of people with my experience and CV without the iPhone work are getting right now - and I get to build some nice apps for big brands and companies. Frustratingly, a lot of my work forms part of larger advertising campaigns that haven't run yet, so I'm not allowed to talk about them!

I also have a free, niche app on the store that I put up to satisfy the clients who demand app store experience. I used to work in e-learning, and developed iPhone apps internally for universities, so never had any reason to be on the app store until I started contracting.

I was trying to work out the rate on returns on IPhone Apps. To be only a few can be successful, some may break even and 99% must lose investment.
        A rough figure that I use in the commercial world based on a number of sources is that any app that costs more than £40,000 to develop is almost certain to make a loss. In the world of the sole developer, the odds are even more against you.

Comment

Looked into it for a recent project but the overhead of learning objective-c was too great. In the end we used http://www.jqtouch.com/ to deliver the web-app to the client, with a native-app feel

Comment

Originally posted by mbb View Post
            Looked into it for a recent project but the overhead of learning objective-c was too great. In the end we used http://www.jqtouch.com/ to deliver the web-app to the client, with a native-app feel
            Trouble is, you don't make any money selling the app as it isn't an app and it isn't in the App Store.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
              Trouble is, you don't make any money selling the app as it isn't an app and it isn't in the App Store.
              Be prepared for an onslaught of flash in the coming months...

http://www.tipb.com/2010/03/24/flash...ches-april-12/
              ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post

http://www.tipb.com/2010/03/24/flash...ches-april-12/
                It isn't Flash as such; it allows Flash developers to compile their Flash apps to native iPhone code, but it doesn't use the Flash runtime. I suppose the poor lambs are scared of OpenGL ES and need Adobe to do all the nasty programming for them

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
                  Lets just hope that Apple have plenty of ink for their app store DENIED stamp

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                    It isn't Flash as such; it allows Flash developers to compile their Flash apps to native iPhone code, but it doesn't use the Flash runtime. I suppose the poor lambs are scared of OpenGL ES and need Adobe to do all the nasty programming for them
                    Yup, I know what it does. It means theres going to be a lot more dross on the app store...
                    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

raising a dead thread I know but I'm now curious as to what the current state of play is with app development..

I have an idea and am looking into starting app development.

Has anyone released apps?
                      If so how many?
                      What sort of approximate income stream does it provide?
                      How much time has been invested for that return?
                      The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Working...
                      X