• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IPhone Apps. Has anyone written any?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not quite, but I've commisioned and ex colleague to build one. He's a bit of a geek! Already got sales for a large leisure related company in the uk, that's going to give it away free. Not massive amount to me, but all helps

Comment

I've written loads in VB4.

Just waiting for the iPhone to support VB4 and I'm laughing.

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
        NF - this one's for you!!

<snigger>

Second helpings of Karma, anyone?
        I have no idea why this would be for NF. I'm fairly certain he hasn't coded everything in existence! Anyway Karma can bite me.

I was just interested if anyone, anyone outside of Dim, AtW, DA & myself actually had any proper business or real passive income stream of anything of any note. In this case IPhone Apps.

I feel that this question is wasted on this BB and will post it on an Indian development website where at least those developers have some modicum of entrepenurial ability.
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
          I have no idea why this would be for NF. I'm fairly certain he hasn't coded everything in existence! Anyway Karma can bite me.

I was just interested if anyone, anyone outside of Dim, AtW, DA & myself actually had any proper business or real passive income stream of anything of any note. In this case IPhone Apps.

I feel that this question is wasted on this BB and will post it on an Indian development website where at least those developers have some modicum of entrepenurial ability.
          Although I haven't yet published any iPhone apps, I'm actively working on some, which is presumably why others mentioned me in this context.

I was going to say more, but I realised I might be wasting my breath and inviting vilification. Given that you have only recently returned to these forums I don't know if you follow the principle that trolling is excluded from the serious places like Technical. If you do accept that principle, I can post more information in response to your original question; but you don't inspire confidence by your behaviour elsewhere, and I don't see why I should waste my time feeding a troll.

If you aren't trolling and are genuinely interested in the field of iPhone app development, then I would be happy to share my understanding (such as it currently is) thereof. Let me know.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
            Although I haven't yet published any iPhone apps, I'm actively working on some, which is presumably why others mentioned me in this context.

I was going to say more, but I realised I might be wasting my breath and inviting vilification. Given that you have only recently returned to these forums I don't know if you follow the principle that trolling is excluded from the serious places like Technical. If you do accept that principle, I can post more information in response to your original question; but you don't inspire confidence by your behaviour elsewhere, and I don't see why I should waste my time feeding a troll.

If you aren't trolling and are genuinely interested in the field of iPhone app development, then I would be happy to share my understanding (such as it currently is) thereof. Let me know.
            Not trolling. Anyway, I think there is a debate to be had about Trolling on General and it's counter argument Ad Hominem. The three middle boards are 'out of scope' as far as I am concerned for the usual General rubbish.

I as reading an article a few weeks ago in the Times. They were describing one of the first Aps to come out where the developer had made about £150k (some tanks/worm rip off). I had a look and thought it was awful.

I was trying to work out the rate on returns on IPhone Apps. To be only a few can be successful, some may break even and 99% must lose investment.

I went through a number of videos etc, but dont have time to develop myself. Was interested really if anyone had loaded anything on to the IStore and had any success.

What are you working on, Utility, App, Game?

Comment

I as reading an article a few weeks ago in the Times. They were describing one of the first Aps to come out where the developer had made about £150k (some tanks/worm rip off). I had a look and thought it was awful.
              And surely it's already too late. The crap and easy to do stuff has already been done, and the phase of users buying any old rubbish software to justify their expensive hardware purchase has also passed. It's going to be much harder for developers from now on.
              Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                And surely it's already too late. The crap and easy to do stuff has already been done, and the phase of users buying any old rubbish software to justify their expensive hardware purchase has also passed. It's going to be much harder for developers from now on.
                Yep, the gold rush days are over. The big players are on the scene now and apps / games are much more polished. Take for example, "Angry Birds". That game was knocked up by a team of around 10 - 15 developers. Now that the app store is drowning with apps, marketing of your own creation is essential; app developers now expect to spend almost as much of their time and effort marketing the product as creating it.

Most of the revenue on the apps store goes to the very top rated apps so if you don't get in on those all important top ten lists, all you've gained is some development experience.

If you want to experience that gold rush again, then develop specifically for the Ipad. True, all Iphone apps will work on the Ipad, but if you can tailor your creation to the Ipad experience, you'll stand more of a chance of getting the app up there; ITunes will also give priority to Ipad specific apps.

Comment

He hasn't coded everything but Nick was coding the games that we used to play when we were kids, well I know of one linky, so his track record is considerably longer than most of the posters on here.

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
                    He hasn't coded everything but Nick was coding the games that we used to play when we were kids, well I know of one linky, so his track record is considerably longer than most of the posters on here.
                    ??? Oh hang on a second ???

Have I made another CUK faux pas here and pissed of another CUK'er & classic 80s/90s developer???

Give me some more links Gonz?

I thought I was talking to this wet behind the ears coder. www.nickfitz.co.uk?
                    Last edited by MarillionFan; 14 March 2010, 22:13.

Comment

Give me some more links Gonz?

I thought I was talking to this wet behind the ears coder. www.nickfitz.co.uk?
                      Oh look, I'm in the French Wikipedia

And there's also more screenshots of Night Hunter covering every level, and an incomplete listing at MobyGames

Edit: ah, here's TRAZ for the PC
                      Last edited by NickFitz; 14 March 2010, 22:27.

Comment

Working...
                      X