• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Website Building

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Joomla.

Loads of help/templates available for free.

Comment

Originally posted by Durbs View Post
      Yep, Frontpage, whilst fitting the bill for being simple to learn and use for yourself and your son generates some awful code and hides a lot of the things you should be learning about from you.

Dreamweaver is the best by far web-wise and is an industry standard app but has a steep learning curve and is expensive (not for schoolies though, they get it cheap!). It has a huge community though for help so may be worth trying the free trial version to see what you think.

A cheaper and simpler alternative is something like http://www.coffeecup.com/html-editor/

I have also used Microsoft's Expression Web app that comes in the Action Pack and that's not too bad either.
      I've got Action Pack, where is it? Is it within Office 2007?
      McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
      Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
        Actually, it doesn't: it gives the impression of getting the job done, but it does it so badly that eventually you'll suffer for it.
        ''If you create a Web site using Frontpage, you are assured one thing and one thing only– your site will need to be completely revamped sometime in the future.'

- http://www.christopherjason.com/web-...b-design-2007/
        I realize its crap - hence the "(just)" bit. It is particularily bad with style sheets as it assumes everyone is viewing your site with IE.
        McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
        Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
          Joomla.

Loads of help/templates available for free.
          Agreed, fairly easy to get your head around anyway and a lot of the free templates look very good. You need PHP and MySQL enabled in your hosting account, something most providers have enabled by default.

Create a database with a user name and password, upload the joomla source to the web root and browse to the site tp start the installer. Fill in the database and FTP details when prompted, install the sample data and off you go.

Having the sample data installed makes it easier to see how it all goes together. After that it's just a case of using the built in editor in the admin section to add your content. Have a look at replacing the stock editor with something like JCE (free).
          Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
            I've got Action Pack, where is it? Is it within Office 2007?
            Its in the additional web pack you get by sitting an online test.

It includes Visual Studio and Expression Web, Expression Design (graphics app that aint too bad) and Expression Blend (Silverlight design tool).

All good stuf.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
              For a non-techy, WordPress is easy to install, has one-click upgrades etc and plenty of templates to go at.

If that's not your cup of tea, tell us why and some more suggestions will no doubt be forthcoming.
              WHS.

Failing that, vi.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Its in the additional web pack you get by sitting an online test.

It includes Visual Studio and Expression Web, Expression Design (graphics app that aint too bad) and Expression Blend (Silverlight design tool).

All good stuf.
                As of start of January they have taken out Visual studio, Expression design and blend unfortunately, now it's just Expression Web

Considering dropping my action pack sub now

Comment

Expression Web - and it has absolutely nothing even remotely to do with Frontpage, they couldn't be more different!!

http://www.microsoft.com/expression/..._Overview.aspx
                  Really?

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/fr...743231033.aspx
                  Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by Not So Wise View Post
                    As of start of January they have taken out Visual studio, Expression design and blend unfortunately, now it's just Expression Web

Considering dropping my action pack sub now
                    Have they????? Grim one. Glad i got mine when i did as Expression Design is handy and VS is one of the main reasons i got the pack.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                      I concede to your link then as they state "Office SharePoint Designer 2007 and Expression Web are partially based on FrontPage technologies and will be launched in the second half of 2006. "

But what technologies are shared, i don't know, as the apps themselves are chalk and cheese. Just pointing out that anyone thinking that Expression Web is Frontpage Mk2 - it aint.

Comment

Working...
                      X