• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Website Building

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Website Building"

Collapse

• Durbs
    replied
    Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
    No details on pricing for the new developer pack - but I can't imagine it would be too much more than the enhanced Action Pack. Its not the whole MSDN - just some parts and only three licences. £100 over the action pack a guess?
    That original linky you posted IS the Action Pack innit? it points to the new "Microsoft Action Pack Development and Design"

Leave a comment:

• lilelvis2000
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Roughly how much would this normally cost. I couldn't find prices anywhere on that site.

TIA.
    No details on pricing for the new developer pack - but I can't imagine it would be too much more than the enhanced Action Pack. Its not the whole MSDN - just some parts and only three licences. £100 over the action pack a guess?

Leave a comment:

• Durbs
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Roughly how much would this normally cost. I couldn't find prices anywhere on that site.

TIA.
    https://partner.microsoft.com/40016455

"The Microsoft Action Pack Solution Provider download-only version costs £199 per annum plus VAT. If you would also like to receive physical media, the price is £273 per annum plus VAT. If you opt in for physical media in the middle of your annual subscription period, the additional cost will be assessed on a prorated basis.
    Starting May 24, 2010, we will provide enhanced benefits to the Action Pack Solution Provider subscription and the download-only version will cost £259 per annum plus VAT. If you would also like to receive physical media, the new price will be £319 per annum plus VAT.
    "

So wait until 24th when they release the enhanced Action Pack but at that price its a no-brainer given the huge amount of goodies you get.
    Last edited by Durbs; 14 May 2010, 07:39.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
    Oh yes, Incase any of you haven't been following. MS are creating a new subscription for developers. It includes a special version of MSDN. No more precise details. If you express interest before 24 May they'll send you a code for 15% off.
    The information is at https://partner.microsoft.com/UK/40132997

TIA.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by lightng View Post
    Current place are using sharepoint designer for some their customer facing pages. I was asked to take a look and add some jquery and ajax goodness. I passed the pages through a validator and got screens worth of errors and warnings.

They was shocked to see how their pages were rendering on different browsers. Some pages were just plain unreadable and don't even start me on the semantics of the underlying HTML. In particular IE6 rendered the pages in a way that could only be deciphered by a WWII cryptography expert (imagine my shock and surprise). I ended up re-writing almost every page from scratch.
    I heard a good tale yesterday from someone who gives courses in team building, communications and the like. She did a cold call on a company based on what their web site said.

It swiftly turned out that the prospective client didn't actually know what their own web site said...

Leave a comment:

• lilelvis2000
    replied
    Oh yes, Incase any of you haven't been following. MS are creating a new subscription for developers. It includes a special version of MSDN. No more precise details. If you express interest before 24 May they'll send you a code for 15% off.
    The information is at https://partner.microsoft.com/UK/40132997

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Front page is really terrible and does the wierdest things. Avoid.

Leave a comment:

• lilelvis2000
    replied
    Well, tired of Frontpage now and want to move on to Expression web. If one is cheeky - you can get it for about £25 if you have child in any form of education. I'm putting down my 4y/o who starts school in September.

Leave a comment:

• Not So Wise
    replied
    Originally posted by Durbs View Post
    Have they????? Grim one. Glad i got mine when i did as Expression Design is handy and VS is one of the main reasons i got the pack.
    Just to update this, the MS WebsiteSpark program is giving Visual studio, expression studio, SQL server/Windows server web editions for free for 3 years* for qualifying companies (which we nearly all should be)

More info here

On the enrolement just select "Microsoft Contact" for your code and you should get an acceptance email a few hours later

*well it's not free exactly , you will have to pay $100 after 3 years to "exit the program" or get charged full price
    Last edited by Not So Wise; 15 February 2010, 13:02.

Leave a comment:

• Durbs
    replied
    Originally posted by lightng View Post

<Placeholder for business cards from Nickfitz and Durbs>
    I'm getting mine re-written to 'Painter & Decorator' after browsing Jobswerve this morning.

Leave a comment:

• lightng
    replied
    Current place are using sharepoint designer for some their customer facing pages. I was asked to take a look and add some jquery and ajax goodness. I passed the pages through a validator and got screens worth of errors and warnings.

They was shocked to see how their pages were rendering on different browsers. Some pages were just plain unreadable and don't even start me on the semantics of the underlying HTML. In particular IE6 rendered the pages in a way that could only be deciphered by a WWII cryptography expert (imagine my shock and surprise). I ended up re-writing almost every page from scratch.

Some of these pages had been live for a year and a half. Examining the google analytics browser spread, it was clear that they were poking out the eyes of over half of their huge customer base!

I don't want to disrespect sharepoint designer though as I'm sure in the right hands, its a great tool. I think the person using the tool makes all the difference; WYSIWYG web-development just isn't there yet, at least for a normal user.

If a company is going to publish to the web, and they're worried about how their presence is received, then they should hire some expert knowledge.

<Placeholder for business cards from Nickfitz and Durbs>
    Last edited by lightng; 13 February 2010, 10:41.

Leave a comment:

• Durbs
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    I concede to your link then as they state "Office SharePoint Designer 2007 and Expression Web are partially based on FrontPage technologies and will be launched in the second half of 2006. "

But what technologies are shared, i don't know, as the apps themselves are chalk and cheese. Just pointing out that anyone thinking that Expression Web is Frontpage Mk2 - it aint.

Leave a comment:

• Durbs
    replied
    Originally posted by Not So Wise View Post
    As of start of January they have taken out Visual studio, Expression design and blend unfortunately, now it's just Expression Web

Considering dropping my action pack sub now
    Have they????? Grim one. Glad i got mine when i did as Expression Design is handy and VS is one of the main reasons i got the pack.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Expression Web - and it has absolutely nothing even remotely to do with Frontpage, they couldn't be more different!!

http://www.microsoft.com/expression/..._Overview.aspx
    Really?

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/fr...743231033.aspx

Leave a comment:

• Not So Wise
    replied
    Its in the additional web pack you get by sitting an online test.

It includes Visual Studio and Expression Web, Expression Design (graphics app that aint too bad) and Expression Blend (Silverlight design tool).

All good stuf.
    As of start of January they have taken out Visual studio, Expression design and blend unfortunately, now it's just Expression Web

Considering dropping my action pack sub now

Leave a comment:

Working...
X