• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I think avast! v5 just let me down.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think avast! v5 just let me down.

I have been a happy user of avast! for many years. But I today upgraded one of our Win XP SP3 PC's to v5 and I believe it has raised a seriously false positive.

V5 has disabled my WLAN USB adapter by deleting C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WLTRYSVC.EXE reporting it as malware. I cannot believe this is a genuine positive since the BT USB WLAN adapter needs it to work, but avast! v5 insists it is dangerous. Google has a lot of conflicting information about this file. In the meantime I've asked avast! for advice but I've removed avast! and installed AVG as a temporary measure.

Anyone else have issues with avast! v5?
    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Yes! and with AVG.

I now use SUPERantiSpyware & Avira
    Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Originally posted by Diver View Post
      Yes! and with AVG.

I now use SUPERantiSpyware & Avira
      +1 for Avira
      Me, me, me...

Comment

AVG doesn't see that same file as a threat. Can't understand why Avast! doesn't like it. Ho hum.

Comment

Avast is tulip... AVG was very good, went bloated also but we still paid for them

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
            Avast is tulip... AVG was very good, went bloated also but we still paid for them
            I only switched from AVG to Aviva because I found AVG slowed down my system something awful.

I've just installed it on the netbook too (plus Superantispyware)
            Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Originally posted by Diver View Post
              I only switched from AVG to Aviva because I found AVG slowed down my system something awful.

I've just installed it on the netbook too (plus Superantispyware)
              I went from AVG to Avira for much the same reason.

Avira is fine as soon as you get shot of the nag screen (quite simple to do), I've found it quite reliable.

I use Spybot S&D for anti spyware/malware purposes.
              Last edited by TykeMerc; 30 January 2010, 01:35. Reason: Forgot a point!

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                I don't agree, but there you go. I've 5 other PC's with avast! 5 on with no problems. It's a false positive, but an annoying one.

Comment

The new AVG is also tulip - their best version was 7.5, we had to buy 5 copies for office and I tried Avast but it was working badly with Outlook, could not stand that tulip so went AVG route, not perfect, slower than before but still ok-ish.

Their 7.5 version was top

My advice - try them before you buy, all such vendors have free trials.

Comment

I've heard that an update from avast! today has fixed a whole bunch of false positive issues with avast! v5. I'll be replacing my temporary AVG installation with it soon as I know it really has fixed all the issues. Avast! has served me well over the years.

Comment

Working...
                    X