• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "I think avast! v5 just let me down."

Collapse

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    I've just replaced Avira with Avast! because of the mail option in Avast (you have to pay Avira for the same protection).

Avast! is working great for me.
    I've used it since it came out almost. I have 5 PC's with it installed. The 6th one will have it re-installed once I'm 100% sure the issues are sorted. I think you'll find it is a good free solution.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    I've just replaced Avira with Avast! because of the mail option in Avast (you have to pay Avira for the same protection).

Avast! is working great for me.

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    Microsoft Security Essentials FTW!

Had AVG for donkeys after getting sick of Norton's resource hogging. Never had it flag up a sausage.

Tried Microsoft Security Essentials when it first came out (their new free antivirus and antispyware package, successor to Microsoft Defender (iirc)) and it found something straight away. Doesn't seem to hog resources either.

Therefore it's obviously the best free antivirus and spyware package currently available for Windows!

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
    I'm not surprised by this as Avast has a good reputation.
    It's inevitable that there will be a very rare cockup and they have to correct it, at least they have.
    I agree.

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
    I've heard that an update from avast! today has fixed a whole bunch of false positive issues with avast! v5. I'll be replacing my temporary AVG installation with it soon as I know it really has fixed all the issues. Avast! has served me well over the years.
    I'm not surprised by this as Avast has a good reputation.
    It's inevitable that there will be a very rare cockup and they have to correct it, at least they have.

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    I've heard that an update from avast! today has fixed a whole bunch of false positive issues with avast! v5. I'll be replacing my temporary AVG installation with it soon as I know it really has fixed all the issues. Avast! has served me well over the years.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    The new AVG is also tulip - their best version was 7.5, we had to buy 5 copies for office and I tried Avast but it was working badly with Outlook, could not stand that tulip so went AVG route, not perfect, slower than before but still ok-ish.

Their 7.5 version was top

My advice - try them before you buy, all such vendors have free trials.

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Avast is tulip... AVG was very good, went bloated also but we still paid for them
    I don't agree, but there you go. I've 5 other PC's with avast! 5 on with no problems. It's a false positive, but an annoying one.

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Originally posted by Diver View Post
    I only switched from AVG to Aviva because I found AVG slowed down my system something awful.

I've just installed it on the netbook too (plus Superantispyware)
    I went from AVG to Avira for much the same reason.

Avira is fine as soon as you get shot of the nag screen (quite simple to do), I've found it quite reliable.

I use Spybot S&D for anti spyware/malware purposes.
    Last edited by TykeMerc; 30 January 2010, 01:35. Reason: Forgot a point!

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Avast is tulip... AVG was very good, went bloated also but we still paid for them
    I only switched from AVG to Aviva because I found AVG slowed down my system something awful.

I've just installed it on the netbook too (plus Superantispyware)

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    AVG doesn't see that same file as a threat. Can't understand why Avast! doesn't like it. Ho hum.

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied
    Originally posted by Diver View Post
    Yes! and with AVG.

I now use SUPERantiSpyware & Avira
    +1 for Avira

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    Yes! and with AVG.

I now use SUPERantiSpyware & Avira

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    started a topic I think avast! v5 just let me down.

I think avast! v5 just let me down.

I have been a happy user of avast! for many years. But I today upgraded one of our Win XP SP3 PC's to v5 and I believe it has raised a seriously false positive.

V5 has disabled my WLAN USB adapter by deleting C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WLTRYSVC.EXE reporting it as malware. I cannot believe this is a genuine positive since the BT USB WLAN adapter needs it to work, but avast! v5 insists it is dangerous. Google has a lot of conflicting information about this file. In the meantime I've asked avast! for advice but I've removed avast! and installed AVG as a temporary measure.

Anyone else have issues with avast! v5?

Working...
X