• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

All-In-One PC or All-In-One Apple Mac

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    Price £2,227
    Discount £528

Subtotal £1,699

VAT & Shipping NOT included
    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

So given that a 27 inch Imac is the way to go, which is definitive model to go for? Are there any imminent releases that may make the current models obsolete?
      This is a whole new (Apple) world :-)
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
        The advantage of a reseller for me is that I can pick someone local, making it less hassle if I need to take something back.

As it happens a new Apple dealer has opened nearby, so close that I wouldn't even bother getting the car out.
        just checked the apple web site and the only resellers close to me are curries and PC World.

The nearest Apple store to me is in Birmingham about 50 mins drive away

What is the situation if you buy from the Apple store on-line, can you get home pick up support as per the Dell support offering????
        Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.

Patience is something you admire in the driver behind you and scorn in the one ahead.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
          So given that a 27 inch Imac is the way to go, which is definitive model to go for? Are there any imminent releases that may make the current models obsolete?

Is that a smile SG.

I never thought I would see the day.

You look younger....
          Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.

Patience is something you admire in the driver behind you and scorn in the one ahead.

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
            Really? I've had nothing but good service from the apple store (where I've bought all of my macs). Had a hard drive fail on my imac, took it into the shop about noon (which is admittedly very handy for me) and it was replaced the same day.
            I did a Time Machine restore and was back running by 9pm the same day.

I don't know about buying a new one from a reseller - what benefit does it give?
            When I've bought my Mac stuff from MacWarehouse and Micro Anvika - in buying bundles (computer, peripherals, bag, s'ware etc) I saved a packet both times. I guess this is the main benefit.
            I haven't personally had any bad experiences with Apple's direct support - but have heard some horror stories.
            When my iPhone had some problems with network connectivity (because I dropped it down a flight of stairs - thanks to the case no visible damage) the Apple store replaced it there and then.
            Micro Anvika repaired a borked macbook (fan issues) for me next-day, no hassles.

Comment

I will say though - that Macs generally ship with the minimum acceptable amount of RAM, and the store prices for RAM + installation are a brazen rip-off. Buy from Crucial instead and install it yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                Macworld (traditionally when new products are released) is in February this year.

However, the 27" design is pretty new, and is likely to only get a speed bump rather than a full redesign.

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/
                ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

As an aside if people are buying Apples from Apple direct, a lot of large companies have corporate deals. A previous ClientCo had a 6-10% off deal on hardware, and all you need to do is flash your company id.

If a contractor was feeling particularly unethical, they could call up and say they're an employee of their ClientCo and take the discount anyway.

The invoice line for the discount just reads "EPP for Corporate and Government" and is a full VAT receipt, so you're good for accountancy purposes too.

If a contractor was feeling particularly unethical that is...
                  And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Originally posted by b0redom View Post
                    As an aside if people are buying Apples from Apple direct, a lot of large companies have corporate deals. A previous ClientCo had a 6-10% off deal on hardware, and all you need to do is flash your company id.
                    Apple do educational discounts as well, so if you are doing a postgrad or similar check that out.
                    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
                      What think you of Apple Care on a product like this? I know a few folks who swear by it for laptops (if the screen goes wonky, it's already paid for itself), but don't know about the iMac range.
                      Never had AppleCare on any product but then I'm one of those that never buys extra insurance on any product.

I'm trying to remember how many failures I have had. One hard disk back in the days of the IIci, can't think of anything else. All my machines have been in working order the day they went to the tip, usually a decade after they were bought. Admittedly I've only had the one laptop.

Comment

Working...
                      X