• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Legal issues with distributing VB software

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry munky, we've been 'messing the noobie around'.

Sorry again, but it is illegal for you to sell anything written in VB.NET Express.
    How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
    Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
      Isn't VB Express free? How do you licence it?
      Going back to VB 3, you often needed to distribute the run time library VBRUN300.DLL as well. There were plenty of copies out there ready to download - smart software authors would offer a download with and without that, 'cos most of us were still on dial up in those days.

There were no licencing issues back then, at least none I was aware of.
      Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
        Sorry munky, we've been 'messing the noobie around'.

Sorry again, but it is illegal for you to sell anything written in VB.NET Express.
        I belive this changed a few years ago, and that all the express versions can now be used for commercial purposes.....

Edit:
        details here
        http://www.microsoft.com/express/support/faq/
        Still Invoicing

Comment

Sorry, my mistake. VB express IS free but you just need a Windows Live account to activate it after the initial "trial" period.

Thanks for replying!!!!!!

Comment

Hey! Ta. I never knew there was a free edition of VB.net.

Maybe it will do instead of upgrading from VS2005 professional. Generally the non free stuff in these things is for professional uses that my progs don't need. The earlier ones were all in VB6 learning edition.
            bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
            John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by munky View Post
              So I could distribute a vb program I've built on an unlicensed version of VB express 2005 for commercial purposes and It would be legal?
              Yes, absolutely. VB Express is not 'unlicensed', it is free for anyone to use as they desire once activated.

Just be sure to include your own license to idemnify yourself against your apps use (or misuse). This is just a .txt doc stating how you wish it to be used and you are not liable for any damages caused etc etc. Look at the license.txt files of other similar apps and nick the text.
              Last edited by Durbs; 30 December 2009, 10:58.

Comment

Working...
              X