• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why are power supplies so expensive?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by singhr View Post
    I am looking for 16VAC 1000mA and been googling for last half hour trying to find a cheap alternative. Maplin throws up links on Google but they appear to be red herrings.
    This would probably work - it gives 15VAC at 1000mA but the voltage is not regulated so it will be higher at low current drains. Probably be OK unless whatever you are trying to power draws the full 1000mA all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by ctdctd View Post
      This would probably work - it gives 15VAC at 1000mA but the voltage is not regulated so it will be higher at low current drains. Probably be OK unless whatever you are trying to power draws the full 1000mA all the time.
      When you plug it in, make sure you get the polarity right! Some are positive centre contact and others are negative. Get that wrong and you might see smoke!

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
        When you plug it in, make sure you get the polarity right! Some are positive centre contact and others are negative. Get that wrong and you might see smoke!
        FAIL - AC output adaptors don't care about polarity. It only matters for the DC ones!

Comment

16VAC 1000mA for a sound card? Bleedin eck!!! That's not yer average PSU or sound card.

Anyway, if it's AC you just need a transformer. Not in sussex I suppose? I've got loads of huge old ones.
          Last edited by xoggoth; 18 December 2009, 12:52.
          bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
          John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
            No, as long as the voltage is the same.
            Originally posted by Tarquin Farquhar View Post
            No, except that a cheap power supply may give a higher voltage than the nominal value, when it is not fully loaded.
            Thank you kindly
            ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
              16VAC 1000mA for a sound card? Bleedin eck!!! That's not yer average PSU or sound card.

Anyway, if it's AC you just need a transformer. Not in sussex I suppose? I've got loads of huge old ones.
              Thanks for offer. You saved me £30 there mate - thank you kindly. Nestling at the bottom of my box of cables and old pc junk was indeed a transformer of the right spec. Know idea what it came from but it's powering the sound card and not even a whiff of smoke. If you are interested in such matters its a Presonus Firebox which lets you hook up midi, mics, guitars etc. Sadly not my Plan B but my son's Plan A.

Comment

Working...
              X