• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why are power supplies so expensive?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why are power supplies so expensive?

I need to get a power supply for an external sound card and been quoted £30.

Given that just about every elecrrical appliance seems to come with a transformer these days, even on items that cost a few quid, what do they put in these transformers that make them so specific to the product they are powering? In our case the sound card should get it's juice from a firewire connection out of a macbook but overloads the mac on power up.

What spec are you after? If it has about the right voltage within a fair range and sufficient current rating, can't see why any wouldn't do. Who doesn't have a big box of old power supplies from things that no longer work?
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by singhr View Post
      I need to get a power supply for an external sound card and been quoted £30.

Given that just about every elecrrical appliance seems to come with a transformer these days, even on items that cost a few quid, what do they put in these transformers that make them so specific to the product they are powering? In our case the sound card should get it's juice from a firewire connection out of a macbook but overloads the mac on power up.
      Go to B&Q and take a look at the cordless drills

B&Q drill kit with charger and battery + assorted bits £38

Replacement New charger £47
      Replacement New battery £36

WTF
      Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
        What spec are you after? If it has about the right voltage within a fair range and sufficient current rating, can't see why any wouldn't do. Who doesn't have a big box of old power supplies from things that no longer work?
        good shout! I'll go hunting.

Comment

Check the current rating required

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=35927

Comment

Originally posted by Diver View Post
            Go to B&Q and take a look at the cordless drills

B&Q drill kit with charger and battery + assorted bits £38

Replacement New charger £47
            Replacement New battery £36

WTF
            agreed

Comment

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I've got a general power supply question.

If I get a replacement transformer but the current (that's the bit in mA I'm guessing ) is much higher than the old one, will it do any damage to the device?
              ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post

If I get a replacement transformer but the current (that's the bit in mA I'm guessing ) is much higher than the old one, will it do any damage to the device?
                No, as long as the voltage is the same.

Comment

Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post

No, except that a cheap power supply may give a higher voltage than the nominal value, when it is not fully loaded.
                  Step outside posh boy

Comment

I am looking for 16VAC 1000mA and been googling for last half hour trying to find a cheap alternative. Maplin throws up links on Google but they appear to be red herrings.

Comment

Working...
                    X