• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Web browser zoom/scroll in .net?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Web browser zoom/scroll in .net?

Bit obscure question but someone might have done it. I want to zoom in on a clicked document element. Without going into all the details, I am just getting the ID of element and splitting it into a string command typ and a number argument arg. Then zoom and scroll as here:

'test of zoom in on element
    Case "zoomin"
    ZoomBrowser(arg)
    MainBox2.Document.Body.ScrollTop = MainBox2.Document.Body.ScrollTop + arg

When I first click the element it zooms but doesn't scroll. If I click again it then scrolls as expected. I would assume this is something to do with the redrawing of the document being incomplete when I attempted to do the scrolltop but it isn't going through the DocumentCompleted event after the zoom, so not sure how to get round the problem.

Ta for any input.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

For heavens sake Xog, learn jQuery and use the massive library of plugins.

e.g.

http://www.sitepoint.com/blogs/2009/...query-plugin/#

So easy and will work with every browser.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
      For heavens sake Xog, learn jQuery and use the massive library of plugins.

e.g.

http://www.sitepoint.com/blogs/2009/...query-plugin/#

So easy and will work with every browser.
      Yes it's brilliant - 30 KB "lightweight" file with JavaScript that will make mobile device choke, marvelous creation - our main site uses it

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
        Yes it's brilliant - 30 KB "lightweight" file with JavaScript that will make mobile device choke, marvelous creation - our main site uses it
        Don't be Atw at. 30KB is smaller than most images and the file is only downloaded once. Most people reference the ones hosted by Google.

http://encosia.com/2008/12/10/3-reas...query-for-you/

And so it's not a problem.

Idiot.

Comment

Ta. Know some jscript and/or flash ways of doing it but if I could build some basic techniques into the VB prog reliably it's easier to debug and test, but will have a look at that.

PS My stuff has loads of high res images and it's not online so 30k is fine.
          bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
          John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
            Don't be Atw at. 30KB is smaller than most images and the file is only downloaded once. Most people reference the ones hosted by Google.

http://encosia.com/2008/12/10/3-reas...query-for-you/

And so it's not a problem.

Idiot.
            Is that your new signature? If so don't bother - we already know you are

30kb of very compact javascript needs to be turned into bytecode, that's not cached so parsing of it should happen every time - certainly on older browsers, mobiles etc.

Comment

Minified and gzipped it is about 18K not 30K.

Comment

There are many reasons not to use jQuery, but they don't apply in the majority of cases.

Even though some of the code within the library is wretchedly poor and wrongheaded, the library does have the virtue of working on the subset of browsers that the jQuery devs support, which covers almost every user in the world. Almost all cross-browser bugs are catered for in almost all cases.

Of course, when you find something that doesn't work, or that uncovers one of jQuery's numerous subtle flaws, it's a simple matter to drop back to straightforward DOM scripting; so for the most part, one might as well use jQuery until one finds something for which it isn't working, then continue using the bits that do work alongside your own code for the bits it can't handle.

I prefer to do things for myself, but that's only because I knew how to deal with all the stuff that jQuery deals with before jQuery was ever created. I still recommend it to clients as the easiest way of creating a maintainable solution.

YMMV and so on

Comment

Working...
                X