• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Microsoft Office 10 Beta

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm planning on keeping Office 2003 but with the intention of trying the on line version of 2010 when it comes out. I found Google docs mashed up my formatted Word doc CV's etc... but maybe Office on line won't?
    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Is there a source where you don't have to become a hotmail account holder?
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
        I'm planning on keeping Office 2003 but with the intention of trying the on line version of 2010 when it comes out. I found Google docs mashed up my formatted Word doc CV's etc... but maybe Office on line won't?
        I've just gone off that idea..........

From the Office 2010 website-

You must install the Microsoft Office 2010 before using Office Web Apps. Install it today, and then get started using your Office Web Apps.
        Ho hum.
        Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
        Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Not So Wise View Post
          And you (I presume) work in IT and it took you almost a year to get used to it, now think about your average user and how much help/support they would need
          I'm a bad example
          When I started using office 2007 I wasn't required to do much in the way of documentation so I was a very light user
          Someone who's spending everyday on spreadsheets and word docs will pick it up faster
          Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
            Thats a shame. It took me a few months (maybe almost a year) but the ribbon is now my favourite thing about office 2007.
            Once you know how it's organised and how the context sensitive areas work then it does help you concentrate more on your work and less on the toolbars
            I'm still waiting for that time to come - in the meantime wasting a lot of time
            This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

When I worked for a MS Gold partner I was asked to test the pre-release beta. The product is really great to use, however, I did lose a days work one day even after saving the document every 1 hour. Every single version was corrupt so I gave up at that point. Will be waiting for full release befire I start using it again.

One feature I loved - Outlook can group emails by conversation a la Google mail

Comment

Downloaded and installed the full version on a spare laptop and, surprise surprise, it is very similar to Office 2007.

One addition I noticed, was the ability to customise the different ribbon 'tabs' to exactly how you want it.

A good feature for those that have gotten used to the ribbon concept but want more control over its content.

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
                  Downloaded and installed the full version on a spare laptop and, surprise surprise, it is very similar to Office 2007.

One addition I noticed, was the ability to customise the different ribbon 'tabs' to exactly how you want it.

A good feature for those that have gotten used to the ribbon concept but want more control over its content.
                  Have the put the menus back in??

Worst bloody thing ever the ribbon concept. Unlike many others, I can read, and associate functionality with the word it says on the menu bar, as opposed to some fcking obscure icon, on a ribbon I would never have associated with the function that I would like to actually do.

Completely slowed me down and whoever in Microsoft thought it was a good idea to swap it without dual functionality is frankly a paedophile waiting to be caught!!!!
                  What happens in General, stays in General.
                  You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Took me a few uses to get the ribbon basics, and a few weeks to find the things I use often. Some things I forget still, but on the other hand others are much easier that I found hard before.

Note, MS have started using the ribbon is other apps so you will struggle to escape it. On Windows 7, even MSPaint uses it...

When you start resisting change rather than taking it in your stride, it's a bad sign. Ribbon is no bigger a shift than other things, it's you that is different this time round.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                      Have the put the menus back in??

Worst bloody thing ever the ribbon concept. Unlike many others, I can read, and associate functionality with the word it says on the menu bar, as opposed to some fcking obscure icon, on a ribbon I would never have associated with the function that I would like to actually do.

Completely slowed me down and whoever in Microsoft thought it was a good idea to swap it without dual functionality is frankly a paedophile waiting to be caught!!!!
                      Nope, they are still running with the ribbon concept.

Agree it is a pain to use at first but I jumped from Office 2003 to Office 2007 early on precisely to overcome this learning curve sooner rather than later.

Also, I am not a high level user of Office apps which made the jump easier for me.

Comment

Working...
                      X