• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Disappopinted - AVG let me down

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got rid of AVG after search and destroy found a trojan.

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
      Why oh why do people trust that piece of tulip that is AVG? It is ******* crap! It consistently comes bottom of the free anti virus software.

Use it at your peril.

If you want free use Avira or Avast.

I personally use the Avira Premium Security. OK it costs £39 for 3 pc's for a year but that's a small price to pay.

I really cant believe people take such risks with their AV as far as AVG is concerned.
      Hang on Bolshie... you've been using Avira since August, after a post where you slammed most other AV products (incl AVG I admit).

So it's a bit early to start preaching!

I use the paid for AVG on 5 PCs and this is the first problem I've had in several years.

I'll take a look at Avira, but anything with a "Game Mode" makes me suspicious that it's a real hog!

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
        Hang on Bolshie... you've been using Avira since August, after a post where you slammed most other AV products (incl AVG I admit).

So it's a bit early to start preaching!

I use the paid for AVG on 5 PCs and this is the first problem I've had in several years.

I'll take a look at Avira, but anything with a "Game Mode" makes me suspicious that it's a real hog!
        I have been using Av for quite a few years. Norton, Mcafee and even some of the free ones such as Avast. I have never used AVG because all the research I've done on it shows it to be lacking in virus protection.

Yes, I have slagged off a few such as kaspersky, and NOD32. I used Avira Premium security Suite after using the 30 day trial. This is the same as the full 'paid for' version. I did this with kaspersky but when I installed the paid for version, two pc's immediately had issues (one pc said it had been downloaded too many times!)

Next NOD32 completely trashed one of the laptops such that it needed a full re install.

Avira has had no such issues. Again, this is the paid for version. If anyone wants to use free AV, I can only recommend Avast as that was the only one I used (I did not want to try another free AV even Avira because to me it just isnt worth the risk).

I would not recommend AVG even in its paid for form as its just too weak.

BTW, Im not really bolshie, its just an act
        I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

I have Avast! Home (free) on 6 PC's. No issues.
          Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
          Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Or just do what I do on my 8 PC's at home and don't run any antivirus bloatware.

Never had a crash, never had to rebuild and a couple of the machines are on Windows 2000 and so we're talking nine years without a single issue.

Simples.

Comment

Problem I had with Avira is that it gave lots of false alarms. Files that had not been detected by other AV software (AVG or AVAST) as being infected were detected by Avira and it wanted to delete them. The files have been commonly used and have never caused any issues. Other scanners in the past have done a similar thing temporarily(detected false alarms in other files) until the next update and they usually stop detected falsies but even after a few updates Avira kept detecting the same files as infected.

AV is only as good as the last virus it found and stopped . If you`re one of the first to be targetted by a NEW virus, none of them will detect and remove it.
              Last edited by SuperZ; 11 November 2009, 11:18.

Comment

Working...
              X