• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

SEO advice

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SEO advice

OK I realise that this is a big subject but does anyone have any advice to give a relative novice on the subject.

So I have my plan B site and although it is getting some traffic more is always welcome, from looking at the stats I really don't get that much traffic from google as i don't rate that highly. So far I have..

put the page subject is in the URL.
    made all pages have titles, descriptions, subject, keywords
    placed the page subject and searchable words in headers
    got the site updating contect on a daily basis.

I think the site is well set up but I realise that backlinks are a major factor, really nobody is linking to the site just now, are there any ways of quickly, cheaply and safely creating good quality backlinks?

Anything else I could be doing that is in my control?

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    I think the site is well set up but I realise that backlinks are a major factor, really nobody is linking to the site just now, are there any ways of quickly, cheaply and safely creating good quality backlinks?
    SKA could have helped you, but you weren't nice to it, were you?

Comment

Anything else I could be doing that is in my control?
      The Google SEO Starter Guide is a very good starting point, and well worth a read.
      Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post

WHS

Originally posted by voodooflux View Post
        The Google SEO Starter Guide is a very good starting point, and well worth a read.
        And H

Comment

You used to have all my sites indexed now it returns nothing at all. My personal site ranks No 1 on Google and all the other main search engines using my own SEO techniques, no help required.
          Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
            You used to have all my sites indexed now it returns nothing at all. My personal site ranks No 1 on Google and all the other main search engines using my own SEO techniques, no help required.
            If you are talking about our full-text search engine then you are using the wrong one.

I am pretty sure your domains are in our backlink index, assuming they have backlinks at all.

Comment

If you are talking about our full-text search engine then you are using the wrong one.

I am pretty sure your domains are in our backlink index, assuming they have backlinks at all.
              Alex, why don't you pill the full-text search engine. It confuses people and it doesn't work.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                Alex, why don't you pill the full-text search engine. It confuses people and it doesn't work.
                I've heard that suggestion, maybe we should but then again next year we'll give it another go.

Comment

What good is a database of backlinks going to do for someone with no backlinks?

Anyway, I have been through the google doc and pretty much done everything they say, one thing I have still to do is a sitemap.xml but everything else, yes.

Comment

What good is a database of backlinks going to do for someone with no backlinks?
                    1. You know that backlinks play important role in ranking.

2. You know that you do not have backlinks.

3. Your competitors presumably do have backlinks.

4. SKA provides a cheap and relatively easy way to analyse competitor backlinks: once you know where they got them from, with what anchor text and when you can look at those sites and try to obtain backlinks as well.

Simples.

Comment

Working...
                    X