• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Issues with dell regarding my laptop

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oooh! Handbags!

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
      You've said in other posts in this forum that it was a soft bag, given the combination of that and the "running for trains" I think you've abused it and Dell should have told you where to go when you first tried to change the screen.
      The fact that the same problems have appeared I'd say were immaterial. The casing could well have been warped by the misuse and its this permanent warping which has been causing problems.
      I'll put down the handbag and answer this.

When I said running for trains I did not mean 100 yards sprints with the laptop bag flying and all angles, more of a brisk walk to get to a platform where the bag may be moving.

I think that a laptop should be built for mobile use and this laptop is not capable for that.

The screen case does not show any sign of 'plastic deformation' ( google it ) and the engineer who replaced the screen gave no indication of that.

Since the screen was replaced the laptop has never been in the bag and has only been transported, with both hands, between rooms in the house. Knowing the fragility of the object I take the upmost care when touching the thing.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
        That doesn't work.

I tried it and they said "Did you receive the goods?"

Yes.

"Did the goods work"

Yes, but now broken

"This is a matter for the manufacturers warranty to cover".
        So you took the fob off.

Fact is joint and several liability under the CCA S75. Yes, they will try and wriggle, they will try and claim S75 doesn't apply. But they will capitulate when they know you're not going away.

Comment

Keep at them, I have been at dell for a harddrive for my inspirion. complained the day after you did, complaint below:

I have bad sectors on my hard drive causing blue screens and inability to reinstall. Laptop would blue screen when running chkdsk or attempting to defrag. I have run a low level format and you can hear the disk skipping when this ongoing. when trying to verify the writes on the low level format, it crashes the linux kernel. When formatted, reinstall of the windows OS freezes at 39% of the NTFS format.

I would like to return this hard drive for replacement, I'm aware the laptops not under warranty, if you refuse to replace this part then I will seek redress through the courts under the Sale of Goods Act.

I'm happy to remove and replace the hard drive myself if this is acceptable to you, I have worked in IT for 10 years.
          2 e-mails, one phone call and Bobs sending me replacement harddrive today free of charge. he did try and say that he'd only do it if I bought extended warranty. I told him that if we ended the phone call without me having a harddrive in the post then I would be filing a small claim.

As for spacecadets comment that this is fair wear and tear, don't agree. It's a laptop, it's designed to be carried from location to location, if it isn't upto the job it's quite clearly not fit for purpose
          "I hope Celtic realise that, if their team is good enough, they will win. If they're not good enough, they'll not win - and they can't look at anybody else, whether it is referees or any other influence." - Walter Smith

On them! On them! They fail!

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
            I guess if you want to devote the rest of your life researching law, hiring lawyers, going to court to do battle with global computer companies and banks, etc for a £200 laptop, then it's definately an avenue worth pursuing.
            Well I guess if you cant be arsed to look up and exercise your rights, then why bother whinging when you got well and truely arse raped by some spotty geek at your credit card co call centre?

No doubt he got a "well done" from his equally spotty geek supervisor for fobbing off yet another no mark know nothing 'consumer.'
            I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

I think you'd be hard pushed to find a solicitor that would pursue a debt of £200. It wouldn't be in the clients best interest as the fees would be greater than the debt. You could have a solicitor struck off if he knowingly did that.
              "I hope Celtic realise that, if their team is good enough, they will win. If they're not good enough, they'll not win - and they can't look at anybody else, whether it is referees or any other influence." - Walter Smith

On them! On them! They fail!

Comment

Working...
              X