• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Issues with dell regarding my laptop

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    That is their reply, i'll get a reply for bob sorted tomorrow. I can see this running and running.
    When did it first develop the fault? If you can prove the fault arose in the first 6 months, the SoG Act determines the fault was inherent in the goods and no proof of fault by the customer is needed.

Therefore if the fault was fixed ie a new screen and the same fault returned, I think you have stronger protection under the SoG Act.

Also if you bought with your credit card, you could approach them under Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act which holds them 'jointly and severely' responsible for the goods.

They may try and wriggle out of it but again, if you can prove the fault was present within 6 months of purchase, you have a stronger hand.
    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Just checked the dates..

31-08-2009 was the end date of the warranty, 15Apr09 is the date when I raised the fault, sooo....

7.5 months ?

Comment

Keep at 'em. They are taking the piss.
        +50 Xeno Geek Points
        Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
        As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

I feel your pain. I have been through the same thing with Dell. I used to spend top wonga on a top spec PC with Dell but just found them to be idiots at every level with a very few exceptions. My problems went on for almost nine months. In then end I used recorded delivery letters (anything else was ignored) and involved trading standards. From now on I use local PC shops. Have faith and preserver or if you were thinking of replacing the laptop anyway then buy locally and forget about Dell as they are just not worth dealing with.

Comment

Originally posted by worzelGummidge View Post
            I feel your pain. I have been through the same thing with Dell. I used to spend top wonga on a top spec PC with Dell but just found them to be idiots at every level with a very few exceptions. My problems went on for almost nine months. In then end I used recorded delivery letters (anything else was ignored) and involved trading standards. From now on I use local PC shops. Have faith and preserver or if you were thinking of replacing the laptop anyway then buy locally and forget about Dell as they are just not worth dealing with.
            I'm going to reply by email which they will off course ignore and I will send off a letter at the end of next week recorded delivery. I fully expect to get trading standards involved shortly after.

I'm going to stick to my guns and demand a replacement.

I will never again purchase anything from DELL, and will purchase local next time. There is a lot to be said for being able to turn up at the place you bought something.

I feel sorry for the average punter in the street who would just accept the mince their customer service operators speak. Took me 50 minutes to exaplain to the guy that the monitor was broken

"I am sorry but I do not understand what 'the screen is not working' means"

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
              That is their reply, i'll get a reply for bob sorted tomorrow. I can see this running and running.
              If it was paid for by credit card then get the card company to place it in dispute. Can be a bit of a push but under the CCA the liability is joint and several.

Comment

Originally posted by ASB View Post
                If it was paid for by credit card then get the card company to place it in dispute. Can be a bit of a push but under the CCA the liability is joint and several.
                That doesn't work.

I tried it and they said "Did you receive the goods?"

Yes.

"Did the goods work"

Yes, but now broken

"This is a matter for the manufacturers warranty to cover".

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                  That doesn't work.

I tried it and they said "Did you receive the goods?"

Yes.

"Did the goods work"

Yes, but now broken

"This is a matter for the manufacturers warranty to cover".
                  They are wrong! S75 in particular makes this quite clear. RBS tried to tell me I needed to 'prove' my new base unit didnt work and they needed an independent report. Quote S75 and SoG Act chapter and verse at them and they had to back down but you need to be able to quote the relevant phrases in the Acts or they'll fob you off..

Do some research on Section 75 especially and the Sale of Goods Act. They are ducking their responsibility.

Where goods develop a fault after 6 months, credit card co's are still jointly responsible for the goods.
                  I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

I would get a local PC shop to give you a quote to repair the screen.

If Dell are still ****ing about, then tell them that you will sue them for whatever it costs to replace it. File a claim online with the small claims court - they will either repair it, replace it, or give you the money because it's a case that they will lose (if they bother to fight it).

If you get money, scrap the laptop and spend it on a decent brand.
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014
                    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
                      They are wrong! S75 in particular makes this quite clear. RBS tried to tell me I needed to 'prove' my new base unit didnt work and they needed an independent report. Quote S75 and SoG Act chapter and verse at them and they had to back down but you need to be able to quote the relevant phrases in the Acts or they'll fob you off..

Do some research on Section 75 especially and the Sale of Goods Act. They are ducking their responsibility.

Where goods develop a fault after 6 months, credit card co's are still jointly responsible for the goods.
                      I guess if you want to devote the rest of your life researching law, hiring lawyers, going to court to do battle with global computer companies and banks, etc for a £200 laptop, then it's definately an avenue worth pursuing.

Comment

Working...
                      X