• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Another nutty firefox problem

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another nutty firefox problem

Here's a little bit of test jscript with two P elements with position:absolute:-

document.getElementById("p0").style.top="30px";
    document.getElementById("mark").style.top=document .getElementById("p0").style.top;

As you would expect they line up vertically. If you now change one of them to DIV there is no change in IE but in Firefox they are no longer aligned. In Firefox it seems that the Ps were not correctly placed in the first place, it is not the physical top of the box that was at 30px but the bottom of the text inside it.

Any solutions to force it into sensible behaviour apart for using something other than P? Cheers.
    Last edited by xoggoth; 14 September 2009, 11:38.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Also freaks on Google Chrome...

Try adding margin: 0; to the styles of the elements in question.

Comment

Yep, it's the default margin that Firefox applies to p tags. Most people use a reset stylesheet to remove all default browser styles. Then you can start with a clean slate.

Comment

Yeh! Put margin:0 padding:0 in style and it works now . Cheers ghl/Bunk.

PS Well almost, the border width is obviously handled slightly differently in the browsers too.
        Last edited by xoggoth; 14 September 2009, 13:45.
        bloggoth

John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Have a look at Yahoo's reset stylesheet to avoid other problems like this. They also have a base stylesheet that re-applies some base styles to elements but does it consistently across browsers.

Comment

Invariably in these situations it's IE that get's it wrong - even when you might think IE is right, or more logical.

I always test page layouts in FF and Safari first, because (99%) they get CSS right.

Once it works in FF and Safari, I test in IE and use conditional stylesheets to work around IE's brokenness.

Oh and yes, a complete CSS reset is the best starting point to get rid of silly browser defaults.
            Last edited by bogeyman; 14 September 2009, 13:24.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Cheers for further comments. Will have a look at those.
              bloggoth

Comment

Working...
              X