• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Using Active Directory to authenticate internet users

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using Active Directory to authenticate internet users

I have an intranet application that is using windows authentication. What I want to do is port it to internet useage for homeworkers. Web server will be in the DMZ.

What I would like know is this. If home worker logs in to internet using forms authentication (this is asp.net app) and enters user name in the form of their normal windows login (domain\userid) can this be passed to active directory and validated? I dont want maintenance of login details in dtatbase or anthing I would like to be using active directory. I think I would have to set up trust between DMZ webserver and AD. Is this possible. Thank you if you help me.

Yes this should be possible, I believe there is an active directory membership provider for asp.net (or you could create your own if it doesn't meet your requirements). Have a look for that on google.

Comment

1. Yes, this is possible.
      2. I can't remember all the details, as I haven't done anything like this with .NET in several years.

If you don't get enough help here (and I'm not exactly helping with the above) then you may want to try searching or posting a question on serverfault.com - there's a good chance somebody over there has either answered your question, or can answer it.

Comment

Originally posted by bekarovka View Post
        I have an intranet application that is using windows authentication. What I want to do is port it to internet useage for homeworkers. Web server will be in the DMZ.

What I would like know is this. If home worker logs in to internet using forms authentication (this is asp.net app) and enters user name in the form of their normal windows login (domain\userid) can this be passed to active directory and validated? I dont want maintenance of login details in dtatbase or anthing I would like to be using active directory. I think I would have to set up trust between DMZ webserver and AD. Is this possible. Thank you if you help me.
        Why not get a SSL VPN solution which will then make what you are doing more secure?
        If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

This should help.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms998360.aspx

Simples.

Comment

Honestly, don't do it. Not to be mean but fact that you even need to ask if it possible tells me you are not experienced enough to make this properly secure for internet publication

Do as pmeswani suggested and use VPN, if they are home workers they should already have this and it would require no extra config from yourself

Comment

Originally posted by Not So Wise View Post
              Honestly, don't do it. Not to be mean but fact that you even need to ask if it possible tells me you are not experienced enough to make this properly secure for internet publication

Do as pmeswani suggested and use VPN, if they are home workers they should already have this and it would require no extra config from yourself
              Have to agree. A VPN with perhaps a smartcard for authentication in combination with the users usual Windows account and SSL is the way to go. In this way all your Intranet apps are available to remote workers and it is secure and the code doesn't have to change.

I've used RSA stuff before.

http://www.ansecurity.co.uk/products/rsa.htm

And Juniper too.

http://www.ansecurity.co.uk/products/juniper/sslvpn.htm
              Last edited by DimPrawn; 24 August 2009, 09:11.

Comment

Thankyou for your answers. Unfortunately I can't use VPN as the requirement is very adhoc access among a large user base.

My main concern really is the implication of the ASP.Net application being in DMZ & communication with AD from there. I would think that there would need to be some extra configuration to get this to work. DMZ machine isn't in a domain. I will try the url that was recommended for asking this question.

Comment

VPN is definately the way to go. Trying to roll your own solution is going to cause you all sorts of security headaches. From the sound of it though, the app has been knocked up on the cheap and an equally cheap access solution is being sought.
                  "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

COnsider using ISA Server to allow authentication to your webserver in the DMZ. This will integrate with AD to authorise specific AD groups to allow access to that web server via forms based auth or basic/integrated auth.

Comment

Working...
                    X