• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

MAC vs PC

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MAC vs PC

Hi,

Long time lurker first time poster.

I'm in a bit of a dilemma. I need to update my current laptop as it's running like my granddad, very very very slow. This is a small part of the problem, however my dilemma is in choosing between another laptop or going for a Mac Pro (these are damn sexy looking machine).

I don't know too much about Mac's so not sure what the benefits are! did I mention that is a sexy looking machine?

I'm not going to use fancy applications like CAD or gaming or anything else of that calibre, but it will be used to log on to the internet, balancing my home accounts, the odd picture slide of my daughter etc ...

So can anyone help in shed some light?

Thanks
    Last edited by Twopak; 21 August 2009, 13:08. Reason: spelling

Main "feature" of a Mac v a PC is the price. If I were you, I'd buy a Windows 7 machine or a Vista machine that has a Windows 7 upgrade license with it.
    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Thanks Fred, makes my life a little easier seeing as I've just googled windows7 ... looks impressive!

But I'm kinda inclined towards the Mac for purely cosmetic reasons (I'm shallow I know {})

Still need to sit down and weight up the Pro's and Con's.

And if I did go for a non-Mac then it would mean finding a machine that I like the look off as well as functionality.

Decisions decisions ...

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
        Main "feature" of a Mac v a PC is the price. If I were you, I'd buy a Windows 7 machine or a Vista machine that has a Windows 7 upgrade license with it.
        Not true if you compare like for like.

It's been discussed several times here in Technical. Here's the most recent thread on the subject.

A MacBook plus virtual machine software or dual boot via BootCamp seems to offer to best of both worlds. In my experience Macs last a lot longer and you certainly don't need a new system with every OS release, so the extra outlay isn't wasted.
        Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

A Mac can run OS X, Windows, Linux etc.

A non-Mac can't run OS X, unless you want to spend hours mucking about trying to get it working, and probably encountering issues every other time an OS update is released.

If you think it's worth it to have OS X (and believe me, it is worth it - it makes Windows look like a sick and shoddy joke) then go for the Mac. Otherwise, get an equivalent spec-and-build-quality laptop from somebody else for about the same money.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
            A non-Mac can't run OS X, unless you want to spend hours mucking about trying to get it working, and probably encountering issues every other time an OS update is released.
            run it in a VM
            Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

Originally posted by Twopak View Post
              I don't know too much about Mac's so not sure what the benefits are! did I mention that is a sexy looking machine?
              I know someone who would like to meet you. I've mentioned him several times on this board. (link). He won't ask questions about gladiators or Turkish prisons like I do.
              How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
              Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

I don't believe in non-'nix-based OSes. They're urban legend - or simply a bad dream.

Comment

Originally posted by realityhack View Post
                  I don't believe in non-'nix-based OSes. They're urban legend - or simply a bad dream.
                  I really loved OS/2, pre version 2.0 of course!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Twopak View Post
                    Hi,

Long time lurker first time poster.

I'm in a bit of a dilemma. I need to update my current laptop as it's running like my granddad, very very very slow. This is a small part of the problem, however my dilemma is in choosing between another laptop or going for a Mac Pro (these are damn sexy looking machine).

I'm not going to use fancy applications like CAD or gaming or anything else of that calibre, but it will be used to log on to the internet, balancing my home accounts, the odd picture slide of my daughter etc ...

So can anyone help in shed some light?

Thanks
                    For the requirements you describe, you should get a MacBook rather than a MacBook 'Pro'. The MacBook comes in exactly the same one-piece cast aluminum shell as the MacBook Pro, but the spec. is slightly less good (but is still very good).

In terms of build quality, usability and looks, the new MacBook blows away any plastic PC laptop I have ever used. The trackpad is a joy (this from one who always hated laptop trackpads). The screen on the basic MacBook is ok, but the one on the MacBook Pro is stunning.

For your needs, I don't really think you will experience much difference between using a MacBook and a bog-standard Dell. If you appreciate good design, style and engineering, the (slight) price premium of the MacBook might be worth it.

Actually, for what you want to do, why not just get a Netbook: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netbook
                    Last edited by bogeyman; 21 August 2009, 14:24.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Working...
                    X