• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Super computer has been completed

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chef View Post
    know your limits.. dont fry the chip
    Mmmm, fried chips...much better than oven chips.
    Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

Originally posted by voodooflux View Post
      What memory did you go for? Just out of interest, not that I have an Excel spreadsheet open with a list of components and prices or anything like that
      OCZ 1600 3 x 2gb sticks - x2
      "Condoms should come with a free pack of earplugs."

Comment

know your limits.. dont fry the chip
        it shuts down when it gets too warm - I am not disabling the heat based safety features

Comment

Quick question for a geek . I have two 1TB disks that were removed from my old machine, both were run in a mirrored raid configuration(raid 1?). The motherboard was nVidia so the raid controller was also nVidia.

If I use these drives with a non-nVidia board (such as X58) which also has a non-nVidia raid controller, can I still continue to maintain these disks? They contain important info. I know I can access them individually outside of a raid config, but if I were to buy an X58 board, configure it to use Mirrored raid (raid 1), will it maintain the disks or would I have to format them and start from scratch due to the different raid controller?

Basically I just want to build a new PC over the next few months and want to put the two 1TB drives in, maintain them in a mirrored configuration and NOT lose the data that is already on them (lots of work related stuff!). There will be a system drive for OS and these two drives mirrored for safe storage of my data and knowledge I`ve gained over the years

I think it will work but anyone know for sure?
          Last edited by SuperZ; 22 August 2009, 21:12.

Comment

The super computer has now been runnig all weekend. Performing various tasks including being subjected to torture test programs, application installation, games being played, benchmarks being run.

It is now running at a speed og 4067mhz and seems very happy.

Not even the torture test programs set up to utilize all 8 logical cores, 4 physical with hyper threading, and to occupy all 12gb memory seems to do more than raise the temperature to about 65 degrees C.

I consider this a success on a CPU running stock at 2666 mhz.
            This means a 50% overclock only using a 50 EUR after market fan.

RESULT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

what is noise like?

have you uprated any fans?
              The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

what is noise like?

PARDON?

Comment

We were running SSDs on mainframes some 15 years ago and the only problem was if there was a power failure (didn't have a UPS then!!!) as the batteries in the disk controllers would only last about 30 minutes. We never had any problems with them, but as we all know, mainframes are pretty reliable
                  Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

what is noise like?

I have the noctua in stead of the stock intel cpu fan - the rest are the original fans in the case.
                    But I chose the case because I read that it was good for aircooling without creating a lot of noise.

The pc is less loud than my old pc and the noice it does make is "nicer" as the fans are larger and rorating at a lower speed. (1100rpm)

Comment

Ok so you saved a few quid. But you spent days of your life that could have been spent billing.

Granted you learnt a lot, but the savings are only real if your time is cheap. Bit like Linux.

Comment

Working...
                      X