• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How to check if a port is open

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DogTown View Post
    Surely there is more to shipping, than knowing what docks are free in a port? But yeah it was a very good joke, no really it rocked. I mean if you have to explain a joke it must be awesome!
    Were it not for the fact that you're new around here I'd call you a ****. But then, ***** are useful.

Comment

Originally posted by Menelaus View Post
      Were it not for the fact that you're new around here I'd call you a ****. But then, ***** are useful.
      New? No no dear friend, far from new

Comment

New? No no dear friend, far from new
        Indeed, most familiar. One of three. Probably just the one.

Welcome back.

Don't enjoy your stay.
        My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

The enjoyment is almost overwhelming?! So your guess to whom I am, is?

Comment

The enjoyment is almost overwhelming?! So your guess to whom I am, is?
            Cybertwunt, perchance?

Comment

Sorry, I have no idea who that is!

Comment

Sorry all, a little experiment of mine. I am no sock puppet, just some who registered quite some time ago. I'm sure Ferret and the admins can confirm this. I thought it would be interesting to apply insults, phrase's learnt, term's learnt in one night to see how the community reacted.

Its funny but my comments tonight to NickFitz are how I see you all talking to each other yet its only a problem when it comes from an outsider!

Maybe you should all lighten up eh, else continue to be twunts!!

Comment

Sorry all, a little experiment of mine. I am no sock puppet, just some who registered quite some time ago. I'm sure Ferret and the admins can confirm this. I thought it would be interesting to apply insults, phrase's learnt, term's learnt in one night to see how the community reacted.

Its funny but my comments tonight to NickFitz are how I see you all talking to each other yet its only a problem when it comes from an outsider!

Maybe you should all lighten up eh, else continue to be twunts!!
                  I think the problem might be that you are labouring the point.

Twunt.
                  +50 Xeno Geek Points
                  Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
                  As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Sorry, I have no idea who that is!
                    Well, you have been banned for quite a while, haven't you Lucy?

Comment

Which proves nothing, the OP had opened the PORTS... but to what? There is no way that being unable to Telnet to a port is proof that is closed!
                      Code:
                      NickFitz:~ NickFitz$ telnet forums.contractoruk.com 80
                      Trying 89.16.161.127...
                      Connected to forums.contractoruk.com.
                      Escape character is '^]'.
                      GET /technical/45397-how-check-if-port-open-2.html HTTP/1.1
                      Host: forums.contractoruk.com

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
                      Date: Sat, 08 Aug 2009 02:47:57 GMT
                      Server: Apache/2.0.55 (Ubuntu) mod_python/3.2.8 Python/2.4.4c1 PHP/5.1.6 mod_ssl/2.0.55 OpenSSL/0.9.8b mod_perl/2.0.2 Perl/v5.8.8
                      X-Powered-By: PHP/5.1.6
                      Set-Cookie: bbsessionhash=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; path=/; HttpOnly
                      Set-Cookie: bblastvisit=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; expires=Sun, 08-Aug-2010 02:48:17 GMT; path=/
                      Set-Cookie: bblastactivity=0; expires=Sun, 08-Aug-2010 02:48:17 GMT; path=/
                      Expires: 0
                      Cache-Control: private, post-check=0, pre-check=0, max-age=0
                      Pragma: no-cache
                      Transfer-Encoding: chunked
                      Content-Type: text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1

{snip a load of gubbins}
                                      <!-- message -->
                                      <div id="post_message_913169">Which proves nothing, the OP had opened the PORTS... but to what? There is no way that being unable to Telnet to a port is proof that is closed!</div>
                                      <!-- / message -->
                      {snip a load more gubbins}
                      Port 80 on forums.contractoruk.com is open, I used a Telnet client to establish a connection, send the appropriate HTTP request, and get the page as a response. If I had been unable to use a Telnet client to do that, I would regard it as a reasonable assumption that port 80 was not open.

Comment

Working...
                      X