• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

MacBook Pro / Bootcamp / Vista

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MacBook Pro / Bootcamp / Vista

Right this has probably been asked, tried search but can't find the answer. Hoping someone who has done this can help.

I'm looking at getting a new MacBook Pro 13.3" with the following (Cheaper than the equivalent Sony Vaio and Better aftersales care, will mainly be using in windows for work, osx for leisure)

Processor:2.26 GHz
    RAM:4Gb
    HDD:500Gb (thinking 200/300 split)

My questions are

1. If I use bootcamp and install Vista what is the battery life likely to be when running vista? (compared to the 7 hours quoted for Mac OS)

2. Can I just use the Vista Re-Install disk from my Dell Desktop?

3. Have read some reviews, albeit old reviews, saying it cause the Mac to run hot, is this still the case or have the bootcamp drivers been improved?

Thanks

Mike.

1. According this CNet blog battery performance doesn't seem to be that good for any variant of Windows. Most likely, the Bootcamp drivers aren't all that optimal.

2. I don't think so, the Dell CD will have specific configuration for the Dell. It's been a while since I installed Bootcamp, but doesn't it need an original XP/Vista CD as part of the installation?

3. Don't know. Sorry.

When you say you'll be using Windows for work, can you a be a bit more specific? Would your Windows apps work in a VM (e.g. Virtualbox). With 4Gb of RAM and a fast processor your should be able to run a 2Gb Vista VM no probs.

And finally.... OSX for leisure? Most people do the reverse as (serious) gaming is still the reserve of Windows.

Comment

Windows on Mac

If you are running OSX for work, you might want to consider using Parallels or VMWare instead. I've been doing so with Windows 7 and XP for some time now with great success. Likewise, I've inevitably found that if I try to partition my life/information, I invariably end up with something in the opposite OS that I need - documents, music, code, anything.

More to the point of your question, though, you will probably suffer poor battery performance while in Windows, regardless of the version. I use WinXP via bootcamp for playing Civilization 4. While the game uses the fully capability of the machine, the battery life drops like a stone.

As for running hot, I have found this to be more of a function of activity. In particular, if you are using the graphics chip intensely, you can expect hot spots. If you are using the machine on a desk, it shouldn't be an issue. If you put the machine on your lap, expect to shift your weight if you are pushing the machine to it's limits continuously. It's not burning, just slightly uncomfortable unless it's winter.

Cheers,
      Kate

Comment

Originally posted by TroubleAtMill View Post
        When you say you'll be using Windows for work, can you a be a bit more specific? Would your Windows apps work in a VM (e.g. Virtualbox). With 4Gb of RAM and a fast processor your should be able to run a 2Gb Vista VM no probs.
        Thanks for the reply

I'd be using it for Access/Excel development and maybe a bit of dreamweaver.

Can these be run in VM or would they need to be run natively???

Battery life is looking like an issue. Might have to bite the bullet and get either the Sony SR or Z range.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeC1408 View Post
          Thanks for the reply

I'd be using it for Access/Excel development and maybe a bit of dreamweaver.

Can these be run in VM or would they need to be run natively???

Battery life is looking like an issue. Might have to bite the bullet and get either the Sony SR or Z range.
          Access/Excel/DW should run more than well in a VM. I would run MS Office in a VM on my 2GB RAM MacBookPro at client sites on the many occassions where they haven't set up a Windows PC for me yet, rather than use BootCamp.

Only the most heavy duty apps or those relying on the GPU (3D, games, etc.) would struggle.

Comment

Originally posted by amerikate View Post
            More to the point of your question, though, you will probably suffer poor battery performance while in Windows, regardless of the version. I use WinXP via bootcamp for playing Civilization 4. While the game uses the fully capability of the machine, the battery life drops like a stone.
            Err yes, but that's because you're running a game, not because you're running Windows. I can't see why it would be any different (in fact the fancy GUI stuff on the Mac might use more power, compared to XP or Vista without Aero).

My Vista Dell laptop can run for 6-7 hours off the battery.

BTW I've used my Dell Vista disk to install Vista into Virtual Box (running on XP, but it'll be the same). I don't think it's tied to Dell hardware in any way. Only one manufacturer tries to restrict OSs to their own hardware.
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Access/Excel/DW should run more than well in a VM. I would run MS Office in a VM on my 2GB RAM MacBookPro at client sites on the many occassions where they haven't set up a Windows PC for me yet, rather than use BootCamp.
              Thanks, that's what I want to be able to do. What sort of battery life are you getting?

Time to google VMWare & Parallels as this is a bit new to me.

Thanks again.

Comment

+1 for Parallels. Note that, if you think there may be occasions when you absolutely have to boot into Windows via BootCamp, the latest version of Parallels is capable of running your BootCamp partition as a VM, so you can have the best of both worlds.

I've used Parallels for two or three years now on my 2GHz/2GB Core Duo MacBook, and it Works For Me, including running Visual Studio Express (which is a bit of a resource hog) for debugging web apps. I also used VMWare on a more powerful MacBook at a client last year, and I didn't think its performance was as good, for what that's worth.

Comment

What sort of battery life are you getting?
                  My 17" MBP is 3-years old (and third-hand!) so I'm probably not the best example of battery life I hope to be getting a replacement soon, just waiting for the next price drop or hardware update.

Time to google VMWare & Parallels as this is a bit new to me.
                  There's also VirtualBox. Doesn't have all the bells and whistles but does it's job well and is free.

Thanks again.
                  You're welcome.

Comment

I find my MacBook bought a year ago has terrible battery life. Even just browsing the web it's not great, and never has been. It charges up fast enough, but I don't think I'd ever get 7 hours from it, 4-5 is probably the most and less if I was using it intensively.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                    X