• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

MSDN Subscription

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    Ok. Wassadiffrunce?
    You don't get the Team components, which I believe includes some source control - either way you don't need it unless you're doing something unusual. Std edition gives you C++, C#, VB.net including all the visual designer tools... I also got Expression tools with my AP subscription which I believe is used for Silverlight, MS' alternative to Flash.

ActionPack is very well worth it, compared to a full MSDN sub. But you can't download all the old versions of MS products IIRC - I believe MSDN subscription proper means you can download a Win98 installation CD should you wish to.

I'd strongly recommend the AP... for £200 it's practically worth it just to get a license for Windows 7.

Note, you have to take some simple tests for AP membership - multiple choice stuff you should not need to spend more than an hour on. I picked a test on a technology I'd never worked with and managed to bumble through 1st try.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

The comparison guide is here : http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

I've read you can use the server explorer anyway in the standard edition despite what that says (not sure if that just applied to 2005 std).
      Last edited by Jaws; 28 July 2009, 22:01. Reason: Provided a 2005 only link originally.

Comment

Newbie question

Hi y'all,

I'm a newbie on this forum (hence the post count of 1), and found this thread via a search on "msdn subscription"

I am in a similar position to the OP, although I actually want to set up a little virtual network to develop a webservice integration dll for Metastorm (sticking with it you see!), I can't see on the action pack contents (here) that it contains any version of Dev Studio, and that the win 7 licence is only an upgrade which I guess wouldn't work with a new virtual machine?

I am waiting for my order to be processed (how come it takes longer for Microsoft to process an order for a download than it takes for Amazon to get an object to your door????) In the meantime I just wondered if I should carry on waiting or shell out for an MSDN sub?

Comment

The developer software is not standard with action pack, you need to do a test on the site to acquire it - it's called the "Web Solutions Toolkit" and you can see it on that link you provided.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaws View Post
            The developer software is not standard with action pack, you need to do a test on the site to acquire it - it's called the "Web Solutions Toolkit" and you can see it on that link you provided.
            Ta, will have a go at that then

- already taken 3 of their bl**dy tests to get this far, it would work out cheaper to go and buy the kit at full price!

Comment

Working...
            X