• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

MSDN Subscription

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MSDN Subscription

I am currently working on a .Net 2005 project, after having spent many months doing BPM work using Metastorm. It's suprising how rusty you get. The rust is falling of dam quickly so the client isn't too bothered. But it has given me a kick up the a*** to do something about it.

I wanted to build some VMs, say Windows Server and install all the usual suspects, SQL Server, MOSS 2007 etc and just have test rigs to play around on to learn new skills and keep existing ones sharp.

I remember years ago the firm I was at had an MSDN subscription that had everything from operating systems to sdks, ddks, ides yada yada yada.

Now I go to the MSDN site and the variety is startling, and it doesn't categorically list what you get. Before I part with cash can someone give me a steer on this one?

TIA
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

You need MSDN Professional as a minimum if you want the Operating Systems, etc.

Comment

I became a MS partner and ordered the action pack for £199. Gives you VS.NET professional, all the OS's and the server products such as SQL Server.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
        I became a MS partner and ordered the action pack for £199. Gives you VS.NET professional, all the OS's and the server products such as SQL Server.
        I have this, although they only provided the standard version of visual studio.

Comment

Not according to DP.

What's the difference?

Comment

Originally posted by Jaws View Post
            I have this, although they only provided the standard version of visual studio.
            I stand corrected. It is the std version not the professional version.

Comment

Ok. Wassadiffrunce?

Comment

Can't find a standard version.

http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio/en-gb/products/professional/default.mspx

Edit [Reason for editing : Cleaned glasses] :doh
                Last edited by suityou01; 28 July 2009, 08:52. Reason: Cleaned glasses

Comment

The version of Visual Studio I got with action pack did not include the mobile development projects. Same for other people ?

Comment

Might be worth seeing if you meet the qualifying requirements for the Microsoft BizSpark program - essentially 3 years of MSDN Professional for $100.
                    Last edited by voodooflux; 28 July 2009, 19:22.
                    Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

Working...
                    X