• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

XP Vs Vista

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
    You are ScooterScot and I claim my five shiny new iPods
    I almost feel sorry for you guys. Na wait a minute

Solve all your problems here, you'll wonder why you ever hesitated.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
      Why the fook does it do that? "Are you sure you want to run this program" crap.
      Because MS got bitched at for years for having a unsecure OS, that allowed by default, things to be run and installed with admin permissions without users knowledge

They went overboard to address this

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
        I almost feel sorry for you guys. Na wait a minute

Solve all your problems here, you'll wonder why you ever hesitated.
        Me, me, me...

Comment

Vista is tulip, wait for windows 7 later in the year

Comment

Vista would never have happened under the Tories.
            ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
              Most new laptops now are being sold with the promise of a free copy of Windows 7 once it's released.

Only problem is, thanks to the EU Microsoft won't be releasing an upgrade version in Europe so it'll have to be a wipe and a clean install
              You sure? How does this work..

I just downloaded the RC version from Microsoft and it upgraded my Vista laptop to Windows 7 no problem.. I also pre-ordered W7 and my understanding of the situation is I just supply it with a new license key once I get my boxed version.

?
              The cycle of life: born > learn > work > learn > dead.

Comment

Originally posted by chris79 View Post

I just downloaded the RC version from Microsoft and it upgraded my Vista laptop to Windows 7 no problem.. I also pre-ordered W7 and my understanding of the situation is I just supply it with a new license key once I get my boxed version.

?
                MyCo bought a new laptop a couple of weeks ago that comes with a freebie Windows 7 copy when it's released. There was a leaflet inside the box explaining that this could only be done as a clean install, not an upgrade.

Bit more info here and here.
                ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Originally posted by chris79 View Post

?
                  The RC release was from before they announced the "E" version. The "E" version won't upgrade Vista. Of course if you can get hold of a non-EU version, you will be able to upgrade.

And I'm not sure if entering a new code would turn the RC it into a full version.
                  Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                    Vista is rubbish
                    WHS
                    "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero

Comment

Working...
                    X