• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

3g dongles again

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3g dongles again

I've not bothered with these as coverage was patchy at best but I hear it's much better now, has anyone here ditched their ADSL line in favour of a dongle?

I can only get fixed 2meg ADSL as my line is crap, to add insult to injury the few ISP's that offer fixed rate charge this as premium service so it's much more expensive than adaptive.
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

When I looked at this a few months ago, data was prohibitively expensive. We use around 12 to 15Gb a month bandwidth and this is really pricey on 3G. Add to that the fact that we can't even get a decent normal mobile phone signal at home, so there's no chance that we can get a reliable 3G connection anytime soon. I dropped the idea for now in favour of staying with ADSL.
    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
      I've not bothered with these as coverage was patchy at best but I hear it's much better now, has anyone here ditched their ADSL line in favour of a dongle?

I can only get fixed 2meg ADSL as my line is crap, to add insult to injury the few ISP's that offer fixed rate charge this as premium service so it's much more expensive than adaptive.
      Try one of the ones that you can get from 3. Works great for me all over Europe.

PZZ

Comment

I bought a Vodafone Router as backup because my ADSL was so flaky and HSDPA here is solid. I was about to tell my telco to shove it and they sorted it out and its been fine ever since - but I kept the router it still comes in handy when we get the odd outage.

I have 1 3Gb/£15/month contract with vodafone for use at client co and drop that sim into the router as and when I need to.

Comment

Have you seen this article from El Reg?

Maps of 3g coverage and Ofcom trying to suppress them...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/07...ap_suppressed/

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/07...coverage_maps/

and the maps...

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/radiocomms/ifi/licensing/classes/broadband/cellular/3g/maps/3gmaps/coverage_maps.pdf
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
          - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

All mobile cos will let you look at their real-time coverage (IE at this actual moment and a bit of delay) Heres Vodafones: http://maps.vodafone.co.uk/coveragev...b/default.aspx

Paper-based ones are always going to be out of date.

PZZ

PZZ

Comment

Had a chat with a sales guy from T-mobile the other day as I would really like to get away from BT. "What`s your download cap?" I asked, expecting it to be around 50GB a month..... "1GB" he said.

Comment

You can get one with a 15Gb cap for around £15-£20, it's the price you pay for exceeding this you need to look out for as o2 are charging 20p per Mb.

http://www.compare3gmobilebroadband.co.uk/
                Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
                  You can get one with a 15Gb cap for around £15-£20, it's the price you pay for exceeding this you need to look out for as o2 are charging 20p per Mb.

http://www.compare3gmobilebroadband.co.uk/
                  I use voda 3g only. It's £15 no cap (corporate contract from employer). I generally find usage is about 2-3gb. Fair usage is defined, I think, as 5gb but all they do in whinge a bit. I did get a query from them last week when I had about 3gb usage in one day. If you constantly exceed it I guess they start to throttle. I get about 2 mbit down and 1 mbit up in TA9.

3 are now doing a 15gb contract for either 15 or 20 per month. But their out of contract rates make Shylock seem generous.

Comment

Originally posted by FarmerPalmer View Post
                    I bought a Vodafone Router as backup because my ADSL was so flaky and HSDPA here is solid. I was about to tell my telco to shove it and they sorted it out and its been fine ever since - but I kept the router it still comes in handy when we get the odd outage.

I have 1 3Gb/£15/month contract with vodafone for use at client co and drop that sim into the router as and when I need to.
                    What make and model is the router? I could do with one at home. Ideal of course would be one that can take a pcmcia card so I can just bang the data card in to it.

Comment

Working...
                    X