• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Place of Interest -> Post Code -> Address service?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Place of Interest -> Post Code -> Address service?

ClientCo want me to write a page that will take a place of interest or an address from a customer and turn it into a postcode for the next step of processing. In future they also want to take a post code and turn it into an address.

Does anyone know of an online service that can do this?

Ideally this might get me some mess about time with google maps or something interting that would look good on the CV.

TIA.

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    ClientCo want me to write a page that will take a place of interest or an address from a customer and turn it into a postcode for the next step of processing. In future they also want to take a post code and turn it into an address.

Ideally this might get me some mess about time with google maps or something interting that would look good on the CV.

TIA.
    I'd imagine Royal Mail would have something that could help with that, mebbe?

Comment

Royal mail

You only get 15 a day.
      Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Yes but it will cost you. PostcodeAnywhere rings a bell.
        +50 Xeno Geek Points
        Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
        As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

ClientCo want me to write a page that will take a place of interest or an address from a customer and turn it into a postcode for the next step of processing.
          You add a large amount of granularity that way. In built up areas postcodes can be tiny. In rural areas they can be vast. You will need either licensed software or a 'pay per conversion' service because the Royal Mail makes money out of the postcodes - they are their jealously guarded property.

You can also convert a PointX (a point of interest) or an address into a unique reference number (e.g. a TOID) and store it that way.

Alternatively into a grid reference.

Which is the correct method depends upon want you might want to do with the data in the future.

If you are planning on storing the data for any length of time don't forget: postcodes DO get changed.
          In future they also want to take a post code and turn it into an address.
          You can go from a postcode to a list of postal addresses (bought from Royal Mail again). Is that definitely what you want? It probably is, but be aware it is not a list of all buildings.

You will need to start with the Royal Mail if you want to use addresses.

GIS pay is crap. Amazingly crap. I know.
          My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

You could always use a page ripper to get it off of Yell. Not strictly legal of course but it works.
            bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
            John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

It's for a taxi service so someone might want to pick 'Tower of London' alternatively they might put in an address, the pricing system which is outwith our control takes postcodes so we are not to bothered about how they store the data.

It's the getting the post code from the place of interest that is the main problem and I can see that google must have that data stored as it does return the postcode from 'tower of london' on googlemaps.

Comment

It's for a taxi service so someone might want to pick 'Tower of London' alternatively they might put in an address, the pricing system which is outwith our control takes postcodes so we are not to bothered about how they store the data.

It's the getting the post code from the place of interest that is the main problem and I can see that google must have that data stored as it does return the postcode from 'tower of london' on googlemaps.
                Google will have licensed the postcode data from Royal Mail. An "End user per click" licence for the entire Postcode Address File is £3,750.

Comment

Why can't taxi service just used google maps, it even has directions and recognises place names - don't even need a postcode!
                  This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

http://www.postcodeanywhere.co.uk/products/

Pay per use webservices. You buy credits up front, they last 6 months and then expire (if you don't use them).

Worked for me.

Comment

Working...
                    X