• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Using email on Blackberry

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using email on Blackberry

I am a recent convert to a Blackberry being the proud owner of a Bold 9000. I have set it up with two email accounts that I use for MyCo using the MyCo domain that is hosted by a well known ISP.

Everything has been working well but I have been trying to get the device to synchronise with my laptop when it comes to deleted items. I want the device to update itself when I have deleted and read emails on my laptop. It is not at present. Does anyone know how to do this?

I contacted my phone provider and they were not much help!! They did however point out that my email account was locked. I rang my ISP who unlocked it but said they couldn't support both BB and Outlook (laptop) access. They said I would have to wait 2-3 hours between using each and blamed it on security issues relating to multiple log-ons!

Has anyone else been told this or is it just my ISP? It would be a pain if I had to keep switching off my BB every time I use my laptop but I could cope with that but not with a waiting time in between. Has anyone any ideas/suggestions?!

I was phoning the Tech Support which was "naturally" offshore! Maybe they didn't understand the issue!!

Disclaimer: I haven't had a BB for a while and they work differently on different carriers, however:

1) If you're not using an IMAP mail server you won't be able to get this to work AT ALL.
    2) If you're not using an enterprise BB (ie you control the BB server) then you'll be using the phone carrier's BB service which just polls the mail server for new mails. Some sync deleted mails, some don't - you might be unlucky.
    2b) Again if you're not using enterprise BB server I don't see how two connections to a mail server at a time could cause a problem unless there's some draconian security in place.
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Thre's a setting on the Mail application on the Blackberry. It defaults to the handset taking priority when resolvng conflicts. Change that to "Server takes priority" (or whatever the right phrase is) and the problem goes away. That said, you have to be using IMAP; POP-based mails just won't work that way.

Can't remember the precise command sequence, I only had a BB for the client's sake, I dumped it for a Nokia as soon as I could!
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
        I only had a BB for the client's sake, I dumped it for a Nokia as soon as I could!
        Thanks Mal.

What was it you liked about the Nokia and which one was it? I moved from the Sony-Ericsson P9xx range. I liked the phone but wanted improved email support. On face value, the BB gives me that - it may just be the push aspect and the shape of the keys as I find it easier to type on it. I tried the E71 and found the keys hard to use.

Any comments?

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
          1) If you're not using an IMAP mail server you won't be able to get this to work AT ALL.
          Originally posted by malvolio View Post
          That said, you have to be using IMAP; POP-based mails just won't work that way.
          Hmmm!!!

Who offers an IMPA account? Can I still get domain hosting from an ISP that offers an IMAP account? I am more than happy to move away from my current ISP as I think their customer service is bad but I do want to keep the domain for MyCo.

Comment

Originally posted by Mustang View Post
            Hmmm!!!

Who offers an IMPA account? Can I still get domain hosting from an ISP that offers an IMAP account? I am more than happy to move away from my current ISP as I think their customer service is bad but I do want to keep the domain for MyCo.
            Easily give you POP3 and IMAP as standard, and do domain hosting. Web hosting too if you need it.

I've used them for six or seven years and currently have about a dozen domains with them. Definitely worth a look.

Comment

Originally posted by Mustang View Post
              Thanks Mal.

What was it you liked about the Nokia and which one was it? I moved from the Sony-Ericsson P9xx range. I liked the phone but wanted improved email support. On face value, the BB gives me that - it may just be the push aspect and the shape of the keys as I find it easier to type on it. I tried the E71 and found the keys hard to use.

Any comments?
              I'm on a basic Nokia 6300 since that does all I need for the current workload. If I go back to something more complex, I'd be looking at the latest E75. I stay with them mostly becuase I've been using Nokias forever and just like the way they work (and I have all the synching and backing up set up of course).

I played with most of the Blackberry range at my last client since I was rolling them out to the management team. Didn't like the big Blackberries, too clunky and basically all a bit rough around the edges. Tried the Pearl and hated the keyboard and the non-intuitive predictive features. Tried the Curve, which if you like BBs is probably a good compromise but it's still a bit third world.

TBH they're more a fashion statement than a tool these days. There are many nicer phones and given GMail does IMAP (as do various others now), they don't have any USP outside the Corporate Enterprise arena.
              Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
              X