• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IE8 pages loading quicker than in FF 3.0.10?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IE8 pages loading quicker than in FF 3.0.10?

Well, it seems to be noticeably faster loading webpages.

I have a slow 512kb/sec connection and IE8 is postively flying through web pages right now. Am I imagining it? I don't think so, so far.
    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

It did trash my Active Desktop until a restall sorted it out.

If it has NoScript type and spell check functionality I may peruse it again (I installed it 'cos it's Mr C's preferred browser...)
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

I'd say that for the web pages that I regularly view, IE8 is currently faster than Firefox and Chrome. But it has to be considered that different types of web pages and web applications will stress the browser, OS and hardware in different ways e.g. some web pages will be using complex rendering, graphics, JavaScript string and DOM operations whilst others will just be very simple pages.

So IE8 maybe quicker under certain circumstances whilst other browsers could win under different conditions. IE8 is certainly very quick to startup on my system and is a big technology leap forward over prior IE versions..so much so that I prefer it over FF and Chrome at the moment.

Apparently Safari has a very fast rendering engine and Chrome uses the same engine. Maybe you can try a browser benchmark test on your own system to see which wins for you - here is one if you want to give it a try: http://service.futuremark.com/peacekeeper/index.action
      Moving to Montana soon, gonna be a dental floss tycoon

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. I haven't found an active spellchucker like in FF yet, but I'm going to look for one. A spellchucker would round off IE8 nicely for me.

Comment

It is quicker, although I generally just use FF to check how Plan B displays, I am not a regular user. Opera was the quickest for a few years and they advertised it.

IE is at last the best browser on the market IMO but it was pretty shameful how far they let it get behind the opposition for such a long period of time.

The beta had terrible performace on both my machines, open up more than 4 tabs and it would hang for at least 5 seconds when changing tabs. They seem to have sorted that.

Comment

IE Spelling.

Hmmm, I'll have to see how I get along with this-

http://www.iespell.com/

Doesn't check as you type, as far as I can see.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
              Hmmm, I'll have to see how I get along with this-

http://www.iespell.com/

Doesn't check as you type, as far as I can see.
              I use that, have done for years, I am dsylexic.

It seems to have lost the ability to highlight the text that you are checking in IE8.

Really good wee product though.

Comment

Originally posted by TheRefactornator View Post
                Apparently Safari has a very fast rendering engine and Chrome uses the same engine. Maybe you can try a browser benchmark test on your own system to see which wins for you - here is one if you want to give it a try: http://service.futuremark.com/peacekeeper/index.action
                I've been using the beta of Safari 4.0 for a while now (on my Mac), and am definitely impressed with its speed. It appears to refresh only the parts of a screen which change, like a well designed Ajax site, but even when Javascript is disabled.
                Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
                  I've been using the beta of Safari 4.0 for a while now (on my Mac), and am definitely impressed with its speed. It appears to refresh only the parts of a screen which change, like a well designed Ajax site, but even when Javascript is disabled.
                  Yes it gets good reports, but what's with the 'beta forever' concept that has crept in and seems to be the norm for systems at present? Wasn't Safari 4 beta released ages ago? And it's not just shrink wrapped software because the big vendors including Google and Microsoft are also at it with their web offerings. I find it a bit irritating.

For what it's worth Safari 4.0 beta is at the top of the performance pile averaged out over all browser benchmark tests performed here: http://service.futuremark.com/peacek...tistics.action
                  Moving to Montana soon, gonna be a dental floss tycoon

Comment

Originally posted by TheRefactornator View Post
                    Yes it gets good reports, but what's with the 'beta forever' concept that has crept in and seems to be the norm for systems at present? Wasn't Safari 4 beta released ages ago? And it's not just shrink wrapped software because the big vendors including Google and Microsoft are also at it with their web offerings. I find it a bit irritating.
                    Safari 4 won't come out of beta until Snow Leopard is released.

Gmail is still in beta - which I don't find irritating, just amusing...
                    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Working...
                    X