• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Develop in Windows Mobile - what do I need?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jaws View Post
    I'm pretty sure that there is a work around to support windows services from standard addition. Not sure how I got to it but there is some article online about this, from what I gathered the main thing with the windows service support is the project temple. It is actually quite surprising how fully featured the standard version of Visual Studio is.

I've actually got an academic license for vs 2008 pro although you can not use this commercially. There is a scheme with MS where if you can prove you are a student via NUS card or something similar you can get the pro versions for free.
    I guess it makes sense that it should be possible to create a windows service somehow with the Standard Edition - I wouldn't imagine that the IDE would stop you using the relevant .NET classes. As you says it's just the project template that would be missing, so creating a service would probably just require a little more manual effort and low level tinkering, whilst losing the GUI niceties of assigning installers to the services and being able to edit the service properties in the property grid.
    Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

Was looking at this myself a while ago and had a chat to a bloke actually doing it. While you can sort of make an app for any windows mobile device you cannot be sure to get the correct layout without the specific device or good emulator of same.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by voodooflux View Post
        Yeah, web services are fine but it won't support Windows Services unfortunately.
        Sorry I miss read your post.... Duh...

You can create windows services with standard though, you just don't get the project template to make life easy.... There are a few articles around this....

Dan

Comment

Working...
        X