• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Develop in Windows Mobile - what do I need?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Develop in Windows Mobile - what do I need?

I've been looking into iphone & android development, but I have a Windows Mobile (Tilt / Tytn 2) so maybe I should start with that. I have worked in VB and VBA in the past so I know my way around.

So do I need a copy of VB Studio 2005 to start developing for the mobile, or is there some free variant I can play with?

My aim is to develop a couple of simple apps, then expand them a bit and see if it goes anywhere. Basically a hobby, possibly leading to something usable by others.
    "take me to your leader"

Originally posted by Grinder View Post
    I've been looking into iphone & android development, but I have a Windows Mobile (Tilt / Tytn 2) so maybe I should start with that. I have worked in VB and VBA in the past so I know my way around.

So do I need a copy of VB Studio 2005 to start developing for the mobile, or is there some free variant I can play with?

My aim is to develop a couple of simple apps, then expand them a bit and see if it goes anywhere. Basically a hobby, possibly leading to something usable by others.
    VB.NET and the .NET Compact Framework sounds like a logical route for you given your background in VB. If memory services the Express editions of Visual Studio don't support mobile developent, so you will need to grab a copy of the Standard/Professional edition from somewhere - latest release is 2008.
    Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

As far as i know, mobile development is not available in VS free Express versions. You'd need full-fat Visual Studio. 2008 is the latest version, not 2005.

Getting hold of a cheap copy of this is easy though. Action Pack subscription is the best route as you get other goodies too but you can get cheap academic copies from Fleabay if you dont mind that sort of thing.

Download 2008 Express for free beforehand to see if the interface clicks with you.

Comment

Great thanks guys. I'll download the free one to see if its agreeable.

I'm OK with educational - I have 2 kids at school... Action Pack is an option when I get back into work.
        "take me to your leader"

Comment

Originally posted by Grinder View Post
          Great thanks guys. I'll download the free one to see if its agreeable.
          It is very agreeable. VS has a sublime interface. Especially if you've worked with the Xcode IDE - Bleeeeargh.

Comment

Originally posted by Durbs View Post
            Getting hold of a cheap copy of this is easy though. Action Pack subscription is the best route as you get other goodies too but you can get cheap academic copies from Fleabay if you dont mind that sort of thing.
            I'm not sure that the Action Pack includes Visual Studio?

Comment

Originally posted by voodooflux View Post
              I'm not sure that the Action Pack includes Visual Studio?
              It does if you sit a short online test.... You then get the web developer toolkit which includes VS 2008.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by dandcg View Post
                It does if you sit a short online test.... You then get the web developer toolkit which includes VS 2008.

Dan
                Oh righty - must have a look at that, cheers.

EDIT: looks to be Visual Studio 2008 Standard Edition included with that - alas I often need to develop Windows Services so require the Professional Edition. And according to this the 2008 Standard Edition isn't sufficient for managed mobile development?
                Last edited by voodooflux; 27 May 2009, 15:18.

Comment

Originally posted by dandcg View Post

Dan
                  Yup, i got VS2008 and also their web/graphic/silverlight design apps Expression Design, Expression Web, Expression Blend, Expression Encoder, Expression Media.

Which was nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Durbs View Post
                    Yup, i got VS2008 and also their web/graphic/silverlight design apps Expression Design, Expression Web, Expression Blend, Expression Encoder, Expression Media.

Which was nice.
                    Sounds like the VS2008 Standard Edition that you get with the Action Pack Web Dev Tools isn't sufficient for Managed (.NET) Mobile Development - can you confirm?

Comment

Working...
                    X