• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Develop in Windows Mobile - what do I need?"

Collapse

• ribble
    replied
    Originally posted by voodooflux View Post
    Yeah, web services are fine but it won't support Windows Services unfortunately.
    Sorry I miss read your post.... Duh...

You can create windows services with standard though, you just don't get the project template to make life easy.... There are a few articles around this....

Dan

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Was looking at this myself a while ago and had a chat to a bloke actually doing it. While you can sort of make an app for any windows mobile device you cannot be sure to get the correct layout without the specific device or good emulator of same.

Leave a comment:

• voodooflux
    replied
    Originally posted by Jaws View Post
    I'm pretty sure that there is a work around to support windows services from standard addition. Not sure how I got to it but there is some article online about this, from what I gathered the main thing with the windows service support is the project temple. It is actually quite surprising how fully featured the standard version of Visual Studio is.

I've actually got an academic license for vs 2008 pro although you can not use this commercially. There is a scheme with MS where if you can prove you are a student via NUS card or something similar you can get the pro versions for free.
    I guess it makes sense that it should be possible to create a windows service somehow with the Standard Edition - I wouldn't imagine that the IDE would stop you using the relevant .NET classes. As you says it's just the project template that would be missing, so creating a service would probably just require a little more manual effort and low level tinkering, whilst losing the GUI niceties of assigning installers to the services and being able to edit the service properties in the property grid.

Leave a comment:

• Jaws
    replied
    Originally posted by voodooflux View Post
    Yeah, web services are fine but it won't support Windows Services unfortunately.
    I'm pretty sure that there is a work around to support windows services from standard addition. Not sure how I got to it but there is some article online about this, from what I gathered the main thing with the windows service support is the project temple. It is actually quite surprising how fully featured the standard version of Visual Studio is.

I've actually got an academic license for vs 2008 pro although you can not use this commercially. There is a scheme with MS where if you can prove you are a student via NUS card or something similar you can get the pro versions for free.

Leave a comment:

• voodooflux
    replied
    Originally posted by Durbs View Post
    As for mobile support in Standard - not sure? Assumed it would but a quick Google suggests it was in 2005 Standard but not 2008????
    Yeah, that was my understanding too.

Appears so. Bizarre, why would they pull it from 2008? I would assume they would want to encourage Windows mobile development given the strong competition and they appear to have done exactly the opposite.
    WHS. I think they've missed a trick here - the iPhone development tools are free after all.

Leave a comment:

• voodooflux
    replied
    Originally posted by dandcg View Post
    Quote from web site.... will dig a little deeper though...

Also can you not create web services with Standard Edition???

Leave a comment:

• BrowneIssue
    replied
    Originally posted by Grinder View Post
    Installing Express edition fails, I'm running Vista and it tells me I need "XP Service Pack 2" d'oh! surely not!:
    Micro$oft Op Sys + MicroShaft application = too much fail.

(I've got XP SP3 and a device driver built with MS Installer says it only runs with XP SP2 and I need to upgrade... why did I give up development and go into project management? Oh yes, I remember. MS Visual Studio scared me off.)

Leave a comment:

• Grinder
    replied
    Ignore my question - solution is to Run the install as Admin.
    Originally posted by Grinder View Post
    Installing Express edition fails, I'm running Vista and it tells me I need "XP Service Pack 2" d'oh! surely not!:

Leave a comment:

• Durbs
    replied
    Appears so. Bizarre, why would they pull it from 2008? I would assume they would want to encourage Windows mobile development given the strong competition and they appear to have done exactly the opposite. http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/For...8-da8a785612b4

Leave a comment:

• ribble
    replied
    Looking at the comparison sheet it would suggest not either....

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

Leave a comment:

• Durbs
    replied
    Yes, you can certainly create Web Services.

As for mobile support in Standard - not sure? Assumed it would but a quick Google suggests it was in 2005 Standard but not 2008????

Leave a comment:

• ribble
    replied
    Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 Standard Edition. A comprehensive, high-productivity, professional development environment that you can use to build high-performance, multitier applications for the Windows operating system, the Web and common consumer mobile devices.
    Quote from web site.... will dig a little deeper though...

Also can you not create web services with Standard Edition???

Leave a comment:

• Grinder
    replied

Leave a comment:

• voodooflux
    replied
    Yup, i got VS2008 and also their web/graphic/silverlight design apps Expression Design, Expression Web, Expression Blend, Expression Encoder, Expression Media.

Which was nice.
    Sounds like the VS2008 Standard Edition that you get with the Action Pack Web Dev Tools isn't sufficient for Managed (.NET) Mobile Development - can you confirm?

Leave a comment:

• Durbs
    replied
    Originally posted by dandcg View Post
    It does if you sit a short online test.... You then get the web developer toolkit which includes VS 2008.

Dan
    Yup, i got VS2008 and also their web/graphic/silverlight design apps Expression Design, Expression Web, Expression Blend, Expression Encoder, Expression Media.

Which was nice.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X